Mountain Project Logo

Gunks snow update? Climbable this weekend?

Original Post
Melinda Ching · · Boston, MA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 226

Does anyone know how much snow the gunks got this week? Or have any foresight on how the conditions will be this weekend? The weather shows full sun for Saturday and Sunday and I just wanna make sure things won’t be soaked from the nor’easter. Boston got lots of snow yesterday!!

Melinda

cubist A · · New York, NY · Joined May 2010 · Points: 10

I was up last weekend and it was good climbing weather. Lots of wet snow but as long as the sun is shining the rock will likely be mostly dry. A few routes were sopping, but many others dry. 

Melinda Ching · · Boston, MA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 226

Thanks! Do you know if they got a lot of snow yesterday?

Brian · · North Kingstown, RI · Joined Sep 2001 · Points: 804

There is some decent sport climbing in southern CT that may be dry.  I sent you a PM.

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

There's been more snow since last weekend, though.

There's still a lot of snow on the ground. The forecasts for this week are cloudy and only slightly above freezing, so I'm not sure what the snow melt is going to look like. I'll probably go because it's a 5 mile drive for me, but I probably wouldn't make the trip from Boston in the hopes of finding a dry climb.

We'll see how the weather plays out, though. If I remember I'll post here to keep people updated.

Joe Lee · · Boston · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 0

Don’t know how the new snow will change it but we climbed the Nears all day Sunday and the Trapps all day Monday and the conditions were excellent. There was snow on the carriage road, the GT ledge and the top. The only wet route we did was Bonnies and it was soaked

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

Today was pretty sunny, I think there will be dry climbs. I'm 5 miles away so there are going to be some differences from where I am and the Trapps, but FWIW I'm going climbing tomorrow.

Joe Lee · · Boston · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 0

Conditions are excellent. We did a ton of pitches in Frogs Head area all dry. Everything looked dry on the walk there too. Much less snow here than even last week. 

Hobie Ponting · · Boulder, CO · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 3
Brian wrote:

There is some decent sport climbing in southern CT that may be dry.  I sent you a PM.

Are you talking about west rock?

Brian · · North Kingstown, RI · Joined Sep 2001 · Points: 804
Hobie Ponting wrote:

Are you talking about west rock?

No.  Area not on MP.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Gunks snow update? Climbable this weekend?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started