For next few days, REI will DOUBLE your gift to the Access Fund - up to $65,000. Donate Now!
Mountain Project Logo

Improved GPS Tagging for Route Locations

Original Post
Scott Golightly · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 5

It feels important that we should be able to “drop a pin” on the location of a route instead of only tagging a route location when you’re actually at its base (recapping the days climbs on MProj and running into some that are in obscure spots where I didn’t have my phone). Perhaps just pull the GPS coordinates from the pin and apply them to the route location module?

kenr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 12,779

I've discovered out there searching for a crag shown on MP, that bad GPS locations are a problem for a number of Areas. Seems clear that the Author of the age was just guessing, clicking on the web map or aerial photo. Which might be OK if the Author had noted in the text that they were "just guessing", so later users could decide how much reliance to put on it. 

Seems like a year ago on MP, at least I could type in the numerical Latitude Longitude from a serious GPS phone app (or separate GPS device), but last time I added a new Area to MP I needed to jiggle the map and keep checking the numbers until they roughly matched what I had carefully captured out there at the base of the climb with my actual GPS unit.

So recently MP seems to encourage guessing after the fact. But really Latitude Longitude is _supposed_ to be a genuinely reliable way to find the base of a crag or climb -- especially since print guidebooks and route developers are often so bad with their text instructions on how to find it.

Making it easy for an Author to capture out there and contribute it accurately to MP an accurate GPS point strikes me as a great improvement.

In the mean time, a check-box to indicate the kind of Source of the lat long contributed (or a hint about its accuracy or lack thereof) would be helpful.

Ken

Scott Golightly · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 5

I can for sure understand that, I don't doubt at all that some folks would just blindly guess that "this rock formation looks right by satellite", I just know that myself and others I know of will climb in places where it's inconvenient/unsafe/(just plain old undesirable to be on our phones out there). I do absolutely agree there would need to be some qualification given to the way in which the location were tagged, I just thought it'd be neat to have a "come home and be recapping the trip with folks and adding those spots from the dinner table" kind of ability. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to " Improved GPS Tagging for Route Locations"
in the Discuss MountainProject.com