Mountain Project Logo

Ultralight C4s

Original Post
Aaron Felder · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 25

Ok, I know these have been brought up on here before and reviews have been posted (both bad and good). But so far those mostly deal with how they feel racked and placing them. I have yet to read anyones experience taking a whip on these. How do they hold up compared to regular C4s? Are thinner lobes a problem? Any reviews from people who have taken falls on them would be greatly appreciated!

BrokenChairs ~ · · Sultan, WA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 235

Don't whip on them they're way to nice and expensive for that. 

walmongr · · Gilbert AZ · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 125

I’ve fallen on them hung on them built anchors with them from J-tree Granite, High Sierra Granite, Red Rocks sand stone and everything else I have climbed. haven’t treated them any different then  any other cam I have owned. They have held up fine and are wearing good. We carry a mix of these and master cam UL’s with nano 22’s  for racking. This set up works great for us and is light. 

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 502
walmongr wrote:

I’ve fallen on them hung on them built anchors with them from J-tree Granite, High Sierra Granite, Red Rocks sand stone and everything else I have climbed. haven’t treated them any different then  any other cam I have owned. They have held up fine and are wearing good. We carry a mix of these and master cam UL’s with nano 22’s  for racking. This set up works great for us and is light. 

do you plan on retiring them after 5 years regardless of condition?

Dr Strangelove · · Bend, OR · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 30

C4s can last a lifetime of free climbing with a few reslings... Ultralights are "supposed" to be retired 5-10 yrs. 

walmongr · · Gilbert AZ · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 125

Their will probably be something way cooler out in five years fhat I must have anyway!! So they will probably get retired, haven’t really thought about it. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Ultralight C4s"