Mountain Project Logo

A little question about the softopper

Original Post
My Quyen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 21 hours ago · Points: 0

I just got a truck and am thinking about getting a softopper instead of a hard shell.

Anyone have experience car camping in these? Do they keep the bed dry in downpours? Would you go with a hard shell if you could do it over again?

I'd ideally be using it for weekend/extended weekend camping/climbing trips. I don't have a garage, just a small storage space, so if I went hard shell, I'd have to keep it on permanently.  

Any firsthand testimonials would be greatly appreciated.

My Quyen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 21 hours ago · Points: 0

please help me

George Bracksieck · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 1,335

I had one on my T100. I liked it. It looked good and kept things dry, but you can't lock it. It went with the T100 when I sold it after 300k miles. 

Dylan Pike · · SLC, UT · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 35

Is cost the major concern? If you can afford a fiberglass shell, that will serve you better. The only advantage I can see of the soft top is if you are using the truck for work or hauling a dirt bike or something along those lines.

Ryan Strickland · · Idyllwild, CA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 131

I've had a soft topper for 5 years now and have been happy with it. It keeps the bed dry in rain and snow. What I like most about it is that I can remove it completely by myself and storing it is easy. There are many times I want a normal truck bed for moving furniture, bikes, wood, etc. Hard tops are a pain to remove (2-3 people needed) and a pain to store when not on your truck. If you're in an area without many bugs, rolling the sides of the soft top up is nice for increased airflow when its hot. I don't have the data to back it up, but I suspect the soft top is less aerodynamic than a hard camper shell and my gas mileage probably suffers somewhat. I keep my expensive gear in the truck cab because you can't lock the soft top. 

Long and short of it: If you want the flexibility to remove it from the truck by yourself, then get the soft topper. If it's going to stay on the truck for all time, a hard shell would probably be better because it locks. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "A little question about the softopper"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion