Mountain Project Logo

Rumney Weather Late April

Original Post
Will Bland · · Halifax, NS · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Hey guys, 

Wondering if it would be worth it to head to Rumney late april (25-29) type thing! Would it be too wet?

Thanks in advance!

Nick Grant · · Natick, MA & Tamworth, NH · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 15

Will, I apologize for the somewhat obvious answer, but it's the truth.  Sometimes April is nice, sometimes it isn't.  It all depends.  You know the whole deal about "If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute."  But as long as it isn't raining, you'll find stuff to climb on that isn't wet beyond some seepage.  Main Cliff dries off fast.  I say, go for it.

ward smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 295

Can be great, snow should be gone, bugs won't be out yet.   Stuff that gets seepage will be wet of course, but plenty of dry routes provided the weather is good (always a gamble at any time of year).   Im planning on being up there for a week in April myself.   Ward 

Franck Vee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 30

Hey Will,

There's a chance I'll do just about that during that time too. Based on previous years, I'd agree with Nick & Ward. If that helps with your decision - sounds like you have about 1 week. In my experience, you'd be rather unlucky to have a whole week of unclimbable weather. You may get a bit of rain at some point, but you're pretty sure to get to climb.

Seepage is probably the bigger worry. I'm not sure about the snowpack this year - I went one year where there had been little snow and by that time it seemed the seepage was really not that much of an issue. Other years was worse. The guidebook does mention the worst offenders for seepage, so you should be able to just avoid them.

The last comment about that would be that how likely it is you'll get to climb is a little grade-dependent. Usually easier to find 11 & up that are dry almost all the time than easier climbs. You'll find easier routes, but fewer and you may not be the only one in line for those...

Will Bland · · Halifax, NS · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Thanks a lot guys. We're going ahead with plans! Super stoked for our first trip to Rumney! Hope to send a couple 12's!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Rumney Weather Late April"
in the Northeastern States