Mountain Project Logo

Kovea Spider Inverted Canister

Original Post
Dante Carriero · · LOS ANGELES · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Anybody used this stove? I've heard great things for using it at high altitude. One person reporting sputtering and issues but that seems to be one case only. How has your experience with inverted canisters like MSR connected to the spider for fast and light trips?

bump

Alex R · · Golden · Joined May 2015 · Points: 16

I have one of these, the highest I have used it was around 12,500 feet. I have not noticed any altitude related issues. The real reason for inverted canisters is of course low temps, not high altitude. In this regard my experience has been poor. when using it the morning after a 0F night, the rubber of the fuel line had become brittle due to the cold. It cracked when I was adjusting the stove which led to an open flame on the fuel line and low pressure reaching the stove. Since then I have repaired it, and it works well for three season camping, but I have trouble trusting it in extreme winter conditions.

Kovea actually offered to replace mine saying it's likely the fuel line is slightly clogged. You should contact them. They seem.motivated to keep this stove popular 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Kovea Spider Inverted Canister "