Mountain Project Logo

DMM Fat Boys

Original Post
Adam Block · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 421

DMM's answer to the wiiide, the Dragon2 #7 & #8, appear to be live for sale. Anyone fondle these big'ns yet? 

I'm wary of how useful/fumbly an extendable sling would be in an offwidth and what justifies a price bump.

Also, anyone know if Wild Country is releasing that .4 sized New Friend, or ever selling the biggest tech friends again? 

Seems they've shifted lately to the more profitable soft goods market realm. A shame if they phase out of the hardware game.

Aidan Raviv · · South Pasadena, CA · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 100

The 7 and 8 Dragon 2s have been on the website for a while now but they still don't actually have them. They were actually 25% off for a while but now they're full price again. I called a week ago and they said they just make up the estimated availability numbers and they didn't actually know when they'd be in.

Also the .4 friend is listed on CS but says it won't ship for a while.

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105

Campsaver lists things way before they actually have them to sell. See where it says "Check Product Availability"? That means "we don't have any"...

David Kerkeslager · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 124

They aren't even listed on DMM's website yet, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

F the h8ers I just ordered a #7 (BD 5). They were 25% off a few weeks ago and they honored the sale price. I'll let you know when I get my dirty mitts on it.

jason.cre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 10

Campsaver is about as reputable as that french guy who had all his gear seized by the sheriff in Frisco.  DONT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THEM if you want to support reputable, honest companies, or companies run by climbers.

bkozak · · Sterling, VA · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 70
jason.cre wrote:

Campsaver is about as reputable as that french guy who had all his gear seized by the sheriff in Frisco.  DONT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THEM if you want to support reputable, honest companies, or companies run by climbers.

Lol?  I've ordered from Campsaver lots of times, probably as many times as Backcountry or REI, and have had zero issues with any of my orders.  One order had a slight delay in getting shipped out due to them having to special order an item I purchased, but they responded back the same day when I asked why there was a delay and explained the issue to me.

ClimbingOn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 405

No thumb loop, I'm out.

Nick B · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 61
jason.cre wrote:

Jason what are you talking about?   Campsaver is a perfectly reputable company.    They are the same company as opticsplanet which is also perfectly reputable.   I have 1000s of dollars spent with them and have never had a problem including with a few returns.  Their prices are often the best as they often allow stacking coupons on top of their sale prices.   More than once they have given me discounted prices on items because I called and asked. The only reason I don't buy from them more often is they don't give free shipping to ak.   ( But they don't gouge like backcountry does).     

Also you guys that love thumb loops must have a different way of holding cams than me as they make zero difference to me.  Anyways i I hope no one is aiding offwidith lol.

Fábio Catalão · · Porto, PT · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

They were announced by DMM at the last Summer ISPO. They appear to be available from April.

jason.cre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 10
Nick B wrote:

Jason what are you talking about?   Campsaver is a perfectly reputable company.    They are the same company as opticsplanet which is also perfectly reputable.   I have 1000s of dollars spent with them and have never had a problem including with a few returns.  Their prices are often the best as they often allow stacking coupons on top of their sale prices.   More than once they have given me discounted prices on items because I called and asked. The only reason I don't buy from them more often is they don't give free shipping to ak.   ( But they don't gouge like backcountry does).     

Also you guys that love thumb loops must have a different way of holding cams than me as they make zero difference to me.  Anyways i I hope no one is aiding offwidith lol.

I ordered a cam from them which weeks later they told me they didn't have in stock, and when they got it in stock would not honor the price I paid.  So I said fine, send me a #5 BD instead.  A few days later I i got a .75 in the mail.  So I called them and told them they sent the wrong cam.  They passed me on to someone who casually let me know that they decided they would just send me the next closest size since they didnt have a #5 in stock.  I tried explaining that A- a .75 is no where close in size to a #5, and B- the rational that you just replace a cam with the next closest size is outrageous.  

They sounded confused and told me if I wanted to return it, $7.99 would be deducted from the return for shipping.  What the serious F?  Reviews on Better Busines Bureau and Trust Pilot make me think what I experienced was not an isolated incident. 

Not to blow up this thread but I've ordered like 30 cams from Campsaver and literally never had an issue except when they sent a #3 that got kinda dinged up on the way and when a package of cams just didn't arrive at my house. They sent me a brand new cam for the damaged one and sent me a new set for the ones that were stolen. I don't see how they possibly could have done a better job than that. 

They also honored a 3 week old sale price on something I just bought because I asked them to.

Edit: on the #7 dragon I just ordered

Nick B · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 61

Also trust pilot and BBB are basically review ransom websites.  Places like  Backcountry.com get terrible ratings too.  Gonna guess they don't pay the ransom.  Sounds like a weird experience though Jason, don't blame you for being irritated.   They certainly have been more responsive to me.

All this talk of dragons and campsaver makes me want to lighten my wallet....  

The dragon 7 and 8 were 25% off for some reason a few weeks ago. If you call they'll backorder and give you that price.

Nicholas Gillman · · Las Vegas · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 327

So they have the prototypes of these at the Red rock Rondezvous his year to kinda play around with at the DMM booth. I’m not a big cam connoisseur by any stretch but they seem pretty sweet to me. The green feels a touch floppy but I guess anything at that size is gonna be a little less snappy than a smaller cam. That being said the purple feels really crisp and good in the hand. I thought no thumb loop would throw me off but I didn’t really mind. If there is anything you wanna see like a caming range or a size comparison let me know I’ll try for more pics.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "DMM Fat Boys"