For next few days, REI will DOUBLE your gift to the Access Fund - up to $65,000. Donate Now!
Mountain Project Logo

Aramid slings for climbing

Original Post
Aidan Raviv · · South Pasadena, CA · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 100

I was poking around on Barrabes yesterday and noticed Edelrid sells rated 6mm aramid slings in 60 and 120cm lengths. Has anyone tried these?

http://www.barrabes.com/en/edelrid-aramid-sling-6-mm-x/p-40331

Thought about getting some in my next order just for fun and trying them out but I know literally nothing about them.

Mikey Schaefer · · Terrebonne, OR · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 245

I had a couple of the 60cm slings when they were still prototypes so not sure if they have changed for production. 

They are very stiff and don’t sit over your shoulder very well or have a very good handle.  They do feel extremely abrasion resistant though.  I think they would be a good choice for slinging horns on rough rock or using as a thread on rocks.  Since they are so stiff you can feed them behind pinches much easier than a dyneema sling.

could be worth having one or two on the rack but I wouldn’t want a whole rack of them.

Aidan Raviv · · South Pasadena, CA · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 100
Mikey Schaefer wrote:

I had a couple of the 60cm slings when they were still prototypes so not sure if they have changed for production. 

They are very stiff and don’t sit over your shoulder very well or have a very good handle.  They do feel extremely abrasion resistant though.  I think they would be a good choice for slinging horns on rough rock or using as a thread on rocks.  Since they are so stiff you can feed them behind pinches much easier than a dyneema sling.

could be worth having one or two on the rack but I wouldn’t want a whole rack of them.

According to either reviews or description on barrabes they are still pretty stiff. I was thinking of using them around hinky trad placements or for when anchors are behind a ledge and the MP needs to be extended over a ledge to spare the rope.

Luc-514 · · Montreal, Quebec · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 9,107

Aramid also has "fatigue" issues with repeated bending/knot, you can't cut them with your knife.

I think think this may be why they haven't gained popularity after the early 90s.

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 205

I don't get it tbh, uhmwpe is superior to aramid in pretty much every way but heat resistance which would be solved through the use of the nylon sheath. 

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490

Kevlar cord (and slings) are far better for poking through threads as it´s stiffer.

· · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
David Kerkeslager · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 108

I have two of these for slinging chocks, threads, and horns. The abrasion-resistance is comforting on sharp rock, and the stiffness makes it good for threading through small spaces. They can obviously be used as a normal sling in a pinch but the stiffness makes that awkward enough that it wouldn't be my first choice. I think of these more like another piece of pro (like a cam or a nut) than a sling.

George Bracksieck · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 1,405

In the late '80s or so, Chouinard Equipment came out with Kevlar cord, which was relatively strong and lightweight, for slinging Stoppers and Hexes. Some people complained that the brittle aramid "fiber" broke down and disintegrated into powder after lots of bending and flexing. Complaints about Kevlar-cord breakdown also resulted from sailing applications. Chouinard Equipment, and perhaps BD, eventually dropped Kevlar cord and replaced it with Gemini cord, which combined aramid and Spectra. Anyway, I would use aramid ONLY if it is new. If not, I wouldn't trust it. Edit: Inspecting the core is impossible without cutting away the nylon sheath. 

Brocky · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

If the core is either Kevlar or Technora there would be a problem with self abrading.  But if it is Vectran, which is more like dyneema, it doesn't self abrade.  I couldn't find it on Edelrid's website, so don't have a list of its ingredients.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Aramid slings for climbing"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion