Mountain Project Logo

Favorite Trad Pack / Crag Pack?

Original Post
Will Bland · · Halifax, NS · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 385

With all of the options out there, what are your guys favorite trad packs / crag bags? (Not something to go up the route, but to bring to the crag!)

I'll be upgrading from a BD Creek 35 and passing that to my girlfriend to carry the sport rack, looking for something 45-50L. I am aware of the Creek 50, but just looking for some other options!

Interested in the Atom Smasher Deluxe, or the Patagonia Craigsmith, anyone have any experience?

madek · · California · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

i have the patagonia ascensionist, which i enjoy

Matt Westlake · · Durham, NC · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 632

I really like my mountain hardwear splitter pack. It's several years old now and is the older 38 model. It can be tight to get a full on rack AND a rope in there though, if you travel heavy. Sometimes I just keep the rope on the outside in a separate bag or better still hand that off to my partner but it looks like the newer model (which also seems to have been discontinued) has a rope keeper on top so maybe that's not essential. It's like a cheaper version of the old Arc'teryx Miura pack. It's pretty burly but I still manged to bust the top of the lumbar support through the top by overloading it. Still, hard to beat the easy loading with the full open zip open clamshell design. 

Kris Stewart · · Vernal, utah · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 50

I've got the mammut neon 45 and rei has them on sale for $104.93 right now. I haven't had the pack for very long but it seems to be pretty durable and has been able to fit all me gear in it. 

https://www.rei.com/product/878809/mammut-neon-gear-45-pack

Peter Lewis · · Bridgton, ME · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 165

Cold Cold World Valdez. Everything a pack should be, and nothing more, at a great price, made by a great guy.

DRusso · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 825
Kris Stewart wrote:

I've got the mammut neon 45 and rei has them on sale for $104.93 right now. I haven't had the pack for very long but it seems to be pretty durable and has been able to fit all me gear in it. 

https://www.rei.com/product/878809/mammut-neon-gear-45-pack

Second this. The Mammut Neon Gear is awesome!

Ska ggs · · New Haven, CT · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 60

simple and cheap but so awesome and versatile ... 

Petzl Bolsa Rope Bag ...

then ill carry a 2nd bag or just take my hiking pack and toss this in there on major treks 

Will Maness · · Ashland, OR · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 50

Trango Crag Pack

Andrew Southworth · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 120

I have a cragsmith 35L at my house right now that I'm trying to decide whether to keep or not. I really like the zipper that opens up in the back, but that's really it's best feature, the side guidebook pockets nice too, but it's pretty tight. Overall I don't think the pack is very comfortable.

Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75
Andrew Southworth wrote:

I have a cragsmith 35L at my house right now that I'm trying to decide whether to keep or not. I really like the zipper that opens up in the back, but that's really it's best feature, the side guidebook pockets nice too, but it's pretty tight. Overall I don't think the pack is very comfortable.

Agreed. I wish it had a more robust internal frame to carry better. The design/features overall are nice though. 

Curt Veldhuisen · · Bellingham, WA · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 862

Metolius Crag Station has treated me well, carries like a pack with access of a fill-zip duffel.  The versatility was key on a 2-week trip to South America with lots of flights and taxis.

Rod Shaftmoore · · Boulder, CO · Joined May 2008 · Points: 100

I have the Mammut Neon Gear 45.  I like it because it was one of the only packs I could find that fit (6'3" 180lbs, narrow waist).  The only things I'd change about it are adding an outside pocket, and changing the name...Neon Gear?  WTF is that?  Other than that I love it.  Taken it to Asia twice, and it fits nicely in an overhead compartment.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 12,235

Man, 45 to 50l? That's a big ol' bag for cragging...

Ive been carrying the Cilogear 30:30 since it came out and wouldn't ever consider another bag. 37L or so of space, removable lid, and best of all, tall and narrow so i can climb with it if needed. 

Ive never had a crag bag bigger than 40l, and can't imagine what I'd do with a 50l bag. Most of the time my 30:30 is too big...

Christopher Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
John Wilder wrote:

Man, 45 to 50l? That's a big ol' bag for cragging...

Ive been carrying the Cilogear 30:30 since it came out and wouldn't ever consider another bag. 37L or so of space, removable lid, and best of all, tall and narrow so i can climb with it if needed. 

Ive never had a crag bag bigger than 40l, and can't imagine what I'd do with a 50l bag. Most of the time my 30:30 is too big...

If you like the wide and carry boat anchors or are hauling a creek rack I could see you very much wishing for more space over that 37L.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 12,235
Christopher Smith wrote:

If you like the wide and carry boat anchors or are hauling a creek rack I could see you very much wishing for more space over that 37L.

The op is from new Hampshire.

And I've stuffed a rope and half of a creek rack in my pack no problem. 

I guess if you're hauling everything or are rope soloing you'd want bigger, but 37L should be plenty for most crag days in decent weather.

Bill Kirby · · San Francisco CA · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

I have the BD Creek 50 for ice climbing. It’s too big or rock. If I’m bringing my 50 it’s cause I’m packing an Arcteryx Dually, helmet, a thermos, lots of food, three pairs of gloves, harness, ice rack and small rock rack, first aid kit and spare kit. Other times, if we’re moving fast, multipitch, Alpine etc, I’ll use a Cilogear 30L worksack.

For rock I like my Deuter 35L Guide but it’s gotta be ten years old now. In a couple years I may get something fancy like a hyper lite or CCW in 30 to 40L.

Christopher Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
John Wilder wrote:

The op is from new Hampshire.

And I've stuffed a rope and half of a creek rack in my pack no problem. 

I guess if you're hauling everything or are rope soloing you'd want bigger, but 37L should be plenty for most crag days in decent weather.

I like the wide and I do rope soloing so I'm happy to have my 50L of space in my Trango Crag Pack..  I also tend to bring WAY more than I need anyway....training weight lol.

Morgan Patterson · · CT · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,774

I have grown to love my BD Stone 45... worth a look if you can find one to check out, 

Gabe Cisneros · · Baltimore, md · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 15

I don't know about the newer version of the cragsmith, but the old one is sturdy and swallows gear. 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
Mike Palasek · · Columbus, OH · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0

Check out the DMM Vector. 45L. Clean lines. Top loading with WIDE opening. Good suspension. DMM gear rocks and this pack is no exception! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "Favorite Trad Pack / Crag Pack?"