Adventure Projects is hiring an Android engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Be clear about the bird closures around here, OK? YOU ARE ON CAMERA!


Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 324
mcarizona wrote:

Well, Law Enforcement Agencies regularly post surveillance photos of perpetrators committing crimes, don't they? It's a clear case of unidentified subjects committing an infraction, and being caught on camera in a place they never should have been. This isn't someone posting a smartphone video they took of someone out in public; it's video captured in a restricted area, of people engaging in a prohibited activity.(An activity which constitutes a federal crime, with very stiff penalties.) I wouldn't classify this as cyberbullying.

curt86iroc · · Golden, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 52
Andrew Krajnik wrote:

Well, Law Enforcement Agencies regularly post surveillance photos of perpetrators committing crimes, don't they? It's a clear case of unidentified subjects committing an infraction, and being caught on camera in a place they never should have been. This isn't someone posting a smartphone video they took of someone out in public; it's video captured in a restricted area, of people engaging in a prohibited activity.(An activity which constitutes a federal crime, with very stiff penalties.) I wouldn't classify this as cyberbullying.

Not to take sides, but your argument isnt valid.  I'm pretty sure no one on this thread is a law enforcement officer..

regardless of how i feel about about the incident (i personally don't agree in climbing in areas while rapture closures are active), i also don't agree with non-appointed officials acting like detectives and soliciting people online to try and identify someone who may have committed a crime. 

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 324
curt86iroc wrote:

Not to take sides, but your argument isnt valid.  I'm pretty sure no one on this thread is a law enforcement officer..

regardless of how i feel about about the incident (i personally don't agree in climbing in areas while rapture closures are active), i also don't agree with non-appointed officials acting like detectives and soliciting people online to try and identify someone who may have committed a crime. 

Well, here's the problem: If these guys don't own up to it, and the situation escalates, the Federal Government will be in possession of these pictures. And you can bet that they will post them, asking for people to identify the perpetrators. (BTW, the maximum fine is $100k, not $10k.)

This is Tony's quandary. I think it's clear that he's not rabble-rousing, nor gathering up a lynch mob; he's trying to be proactive and defuse this situation as quietly as possible. Ideally, he wants to minimize the impact to the birds, reduce the penalty incurred by the climbers, and preserve access for everyone.

Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 95
Gold Plated Rocket Pony wrote:

IMHO (trying not to get shanked here) one thing that would be nice for Boulder would be a super clear resource for what is currently closed as well as what was closed and is now open. The standard warnings at the top of MP sections are generally boiler plate and often state a route/crag is closed when it was closed but is now open. Then there are a lot of conflicting resources for example:

Eldo: all resources point here: http://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/parks/EldoradoCanyon/Pages/Conditions.aspx which currently reads:

Oh hell yes! Little old but let's do this! They would surely update this page if anything was really closed. Oh but wait... on http://boulderclimbers.org/we-must-respect-land-closures/ another trusty resource it says:


And it's March.... "full details here" link then points to the cpw.state.co.us page above, sweet! We must be good then!!!!! (but no I'm pretty sure some crags are closed). I find this to be the case for many of the climbing areas in Boulder.

It's not an excuse but it should be way easier to sort out what is/was/isn't closed in the Boulder area right now. It feels like a research project sometimes figuring this out. Their should be physical signs out there as well but you are assuming everyone came in on the same path(s). I do take these closures seriously which is why I find it so annoying the info is hard to find at times w/o picking up a phone and calling a ranger (at least for Eldo, no clue who to call for BoCan, Micky Mouse wall? Maybe rangers?).

Want to spread the knowledge? Make it easy to find, keep MP super up to date so it can be trusted as well as these other sites that people are looking at for info. I'd be game to help.

You need signs more visible than this?

Only, Locals · · #iGREWhereUflewHERE · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,160

If you're over the age of 18 and "feel" like you're being cyberbullied, you need to be run over with a tank.


What have we become?  


An 18 year old in 1950 was a man or woman.  


These days we're chocked full of 28 year olds still living with their parents or driving around in a paid-for van, whining about sh*tty wifi signal and "cyberbullying"


LOL.  We need another big war stat, humanity needs a HUGE figurative slap in the face.  I hope I didn't offend any nancies that may be reading.  My most sincere apologies.

Billcoe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 665

Just a quick note to Tony for both doing the right thing, and putting up with the extranious BS. Yer a good man Tony. 

curt86iroc · · Golden, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 52
Locals Only wrote:

If you're over the age of 18 and "feel" like you're being cyberbullied, you need to be run over with a tank.


What have we become?  


An 18 year old in 1950 was a man or woman.  


These days we're chocked full of 28 year olds still living with their parents or driving around in a paid-for van, whining about sh*tty wifi signal and "cyberbullying"


LOL.  We need another big war stat, humanity needs a HUGE figurative slap in the face.  I hope I didn't offend any nancies that may be reading.  My most sincere apologies.

read this and tell me if you believe cyber-bullying is still harmless...

https://www.aaup.org/article/new-reality-far-rights-use-cyberharassment-against-academics#.WqgBuGr4_3g 

Only, Locals · · #iGREWhereUflewHERE · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,160
curt86iroc wrote:

read this and tell me if you believe cyber-bullying is still harmless...

https://www.aaup.org/article/new-reality-far-rights-use-cyberharassment-against-academics#.WqgBuGr4_3g 

That sounds like a bad time - there are a lot of things going on there that are bad/likely illegal, but none of them are what we're talking about.  E for effort?

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 541

Just a reminder of what this is about (I love this first photo!):

 

Morley Nelson with one of his golden eagles, early on. Sorry, I don't know who is holding the peregrine (?). Morley was with the 10th mountain in WWII, a pioneer in raptor research and conservation, a falconer, and, the man the Morley Nelson Snake River Birds of Prey National Conservation Area is named for. The NCA celebrates its 25th anniversary this year, but the work to establish it goes back much farther.

I got to meet Morley late in his life, and his birds, too. What a treat that was!

Best, OLH

Only, Locals · · #iGREWhereUflewHERE · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,160

@Adam, my apologies. I was set to flag myself this morning, lol, and ask the admins to tidy up this thread, but they beat me to it. I hunted up the thread that prompted our email exchange a year ago. You were a good guy then, actually quite thoughtful, and you're a good guy now. Truly, sorry I went off on ya. Helen

Helen, perhaps you were high or drunk when you typed the messages I'm referring to, it's not what you forwarded and you don't seem to remember.  None of this matters, just refrain moving forward and we'll be "all good"

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,470

In any case, just keep away from these climbing areas during raptor nesting closures or you could be ruthlessly made into CLIMBING MEMES and might inadvertently get dragging into a dumpster fire. It just isn't worth it. 


mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
mcarizona wrote:

It sounds like you taught them it was ok to break the law as long as they didn’t get caught. 


Gold Plated Rocket Pony · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 91
Fehim Hasecic wrote:

You need signs more visible than this?

Nope that sign is awesome, just saying the other available resources on the web are not always up to date.

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5
Old lady H wrote:

Those are all I found in my email. They reminded me of who we are both capable of being, so thank you sir.

Not drunk or high. Don't do either. Overstressed, exhausted and brain dead? Shit yeah, and no end in sight. That's no excuse, though! 

Best, Helen

Stop referencing private conversations the whole site isn't privy to.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,380

High drama in MP today!

Only, Locals · · #iGREWhereUflewHERE · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,160
jg fox wrote:

Stop referencing private conversations the whole site isn't privy to.

Just call me DMT



Cheers

DMT

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5
Locals Only wrote:

Just call me DMT



Cheers

DMT

Ha! You should go back with a sock puppet account and stir more trouble up.  The Joshua Tree bolting thread got their blood pumping.

Only, Locals · · #iGREWhereUflewHERE · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,160
jg fox wrote:

Ha! You should go back with a sock puppet account and stir more trouble up.  The Joshua Tree bolting thread got their blood pumping.

You say that like I'm not already doing it

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 23,180
Mark E Dixon wrote:

Tony, any hints about where the birdies chose to nest this year?


That is not a past tense yet.  They have been seen around, but are not yet incubating... they can visit several nests prior to choosing, and may carry branches to more than one as well, before selecting.  In other words, we don't know just yet, that's why the volunteers and Cameras are up there.

Rees LaBree · · Centennial, CO · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 118
Tony B wrote:

That is not a past tense yet.  They have been seen around, but are not yet incubating... they can visit several nests prior to choosing, and may carry branches to more than one as well, before selecting.
In other words, we don't know just yet, that's why the volunteers and Cameras are up there.

Lemme know when you find out. I'm looking for some beta on disturbing birds and I hear the USFS takes nice pictures.

But actually I'm joking, I hope this gets resolved and there's no long term effects on access (or the birds).

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Be clear about the bird closures around here, O…"
in the Colorado

Log In to Reply