Mountain Project Logo

Is Mountain Project censoring new users?

Original Post
Zander Laskin · · Boulder · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

I have been visiting this site for over a year, but just created an account a couple days ago.  After creating the account I posted a reply to a forum, then another, but on my third try posting to a forum I was blocked.  I didn't post anything rude, or anything that would get "flagged".  I got a big red banner across the screen saying that new useres were limited in how often they can post, but I can post more the longer I have the account.  The banner said this limits spam.  I've never noticed spam on the site before.  I tried posting this forum topic the next day, but was still blocked.  In fact, as I'm typing this I'm expecting that it will not be allowed to be posted as there was nothing saying how long I'd be blocked.

My guess is that it is not intended to limit spam, but instead to censor new users.  The only reason I can think of that Mountain Project (REI) would want to censor new users is to prevent noobs from giving out bad beta, but lets face it, there are plenty of experienced old timers with bad habits that spout off bad beta all the time.  

Has anyone else felt like Mountain Project was censoring them?

K. Le Douche · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2008 · Points: 100

Since REI took control of this site the policing / censoring has gotten noticably worse (or better if you hate comedy, laughter, and joy).  I guess it all just depends who is deciding what breaks "Guideline #1".  Also, people just can't take a joke anymore.  There are too many people out there these days that seem like they are trying to find offense in everything, so they see / read something that could be offensive, whine about it, and then REI has to look like they're taking appropriate measures to police it because even people with no sense of humor go camping.  I don't think they're trying to prevent you from doling out your noob beta to everyone.  They're probably just preventing some dope from making a new account and being a dick to everyone.  By limiting it you can only be a dick twice? I guess? Then you can wait 48 hours and be a dick to two more people...IDK, but I'm sure they have an algorythm.  

I posted something a few weeks ago that must have gotten flagged by some social justice warrior, which is too bad because it was comedy gold!  REI didn't just delete my comment, they deleted the whole thread after my comment.  I thought that was a bit excessive, effectively killing the whole thread, but what are you gonna do?

I guess there's always SuperTopo if you keep getting blocked from posting... but fuck it, the weather's getting warm anyway.

What ever you do DO NOT Hashtag "MeToo" (#MeToo) in jest, they take that shit REAL serious  ;-)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Community Forum
Post a Reply to "Is Mountain Project censoring new users?"