Mountain Project Logo

#hashtag #route #crag @routeName

Original Post
Nate Tastic · · 88,4,108,50, 80 · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10

FR...

It would be cool if there was a route / crag #hashtag or @routeName feature. 

When people mention a route or area it would allow them to link it up to said location in the route finder with ease. 

Perhaps it could be automated. 

Creating relevant links to other areas within the site is good juju. For us humans it's a nice convenience should we want to know more about an area or route when others have mentioned it. Especially if it's a spot we're not familiar with. 

Currently we have to search for it. And ain't nobody got time for that ;-) 

Alexander Blum · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 132

I like this idea. Same thing with users. Something along the lines of [/username] should create a link that goes to that user's profile.

MisterE Wolfe · · Bishop, CA · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 3,515

Dude! You had me at #hash!

Alexander Blum wrote:

I like this idea. Same thing with users. Something along the lines of [/username] should create a link that goes to that user's profile.

@username and /route might be a good option. A little drop down shows options and narrows it down as you type. Similar to the functionality of the search above but, inline here in the wysiwyg itself. 

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 3,123

Usernames aren't unique, so I'm afraid that won't work.  There is a shortcut for this though: everything on MP has a unique ID (the number in the url of that thing), and you can easily create a link to it by putting the ID in square brackets, like this: {{14015}} but square brackets instead of curly braces.

For example, here's my page: Nick Wilder and here's a nice route: High Exposure.

When I type that in this form, it looks like this:

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 324
Nick Wilder wrote:

Usernames aren't unique, so I'm afraid that won't work.  There is a shortcut for this though: everything on MP has a unique ID (the number in the url of that thing), and you can easily create a link to it by putting the ID in square brackets, like this: {{14015}} but square brackets instead of curly braces.

For example, here's my page: Nick Wilder and here's a nice route: High Exposure.

That is awesome. Thanks for sharing that tidbit! I assume it works for pics as well?

Andrew Krajnik

East Comfort Route

Me, belaying atop Cleopatra's Needle

edit: It does! That's gonna make trip reports so much easier!

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,610

This is very cool. 

Nick, is there a 'short cuts' page for MP? Info like this is invaluable to users, i would bet there is quite a lot of it we mere mortal Luddites know nothing of.

Nick Wilder wrote:

Hey Nick, that's cool. 

That said, I think it's about the same amount of work as finding the route and username id as it is to find the route or username and copy & paste it as a link via the WYSIWYG's Insert Link icon.

If there were two+ usernames it could give you the ones available with a small profile image next to each one. This way you'd know who was who. Not perfect for those times when there are no profile images but, so it goes. Either way, linking to user profiles is less of a request than linking up routes and areas. Being able to link up routes and areas are going to be used a lot more, imo.

On a side note, I wish the site could put up on GitHub (or similar) with a pruned DB. That way when we want to submit FR we can send it in along with a PR.

Alexander Blum · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 132
Nate Tastic wrote:

Hey Nick, that's cool. 

That said, I think it's about the same amount of work as finding the route and username id as it is to find the route or username and copy & paste it as a link via the WYSIWYG's Insert Link icon.

If there were two+ usernames it could give you the ones available with a small profile image next to each one. This way you'd know who was who. Not perfect for those times when there are no profile images but, so it goes. Either way, linking to user profiles is less of a request than linking up routes and areas. Being able to link up routes and areas are going to be used a lot more, imo.

On a side note, I wish the site could put up on GitHub (or similar) with a pruned DB. That way when we want to submit FR we can send it in along with a PR.

Just posting to voice my agreement with everything stated here. The link to user idea isn't nearly as useful as linking to routes and areas (and fixing the terrible search function in the first place, which would probably be integrated into this feature). The unique ID feature is neat, but I don't feel like it's actually less work than just copy and pasting links using the WYSIWYG editor provided. Drop-down boxes with a small avatar fix the problem wrt the feature request.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "#hashtag #route #crag @routeName"
in the Discuss MountainProject.com