Mountain Project Logo

Mt. Elbrus - looking for mountaineering partners

Original Post
Diana1990 · · Milford, CT · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

I'm planning an unguided summit of Mt. Elbrus via. the Normal Route for sometime either late July or early August 2018. I'm looking for mountaineering partners who are, if not experienced, then comfortable with climbing at altitude. My experience includes summits of Cayambe, Chimborazo (Ecuador), Mt. Kenya, Rainier, and Mt. Hood. I have all the equipment, just looking for a partner or two. I will probably look into making solid travel plans and setting the dates around mid-late April.

Gerrit Verbeek · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

I'm interested but can't pull the trigger yet and won't know until early June.

Backstory: A friend and I have been vaguely talking about Elbrus in August/September. For me it depends on vacation time, I'm headed up Denali in May and have booked 3 weeks of vacation for it (5/19-6/10). If we hit good weather we'll be up and down in ~14 days and I'll have the time to spare, in which case Elbrus is my top priority. For him it depends on visas and work, he's with the British military so there's some geopolitical shenanigans involved in getting a Russian visa and time off is a bit uncertain.

Current relevant experience includes Rainier, a bunch of <10k' Alaska peaks, a WFR, and Russian at a conversational level. Hopefully add a Denali summit by then and could contribute gear as well.

Good luck finding a team and please keep me in mind if June 11th isn't too late for your planning schedule!

Full disclosure: I am a terrible skier, so if that's part of the plan I shouldn't participate. Human-powered transport is also important to me, cable cars and snow cats are cheating!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Mt. Elbrus - looking for mountaineering partners"
in the Extended Trips and International Partners