Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Bouldering Gym in Saint George?

Chris Horton · · St. George, UT / Encampment… · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 275

Hi All,

As promised, the website for Contact Climbing-Yoga-Fitness has all the info we can share right now. We have the location pretty much locked down, just waiting to close on the purchase, I’ll share that asap as well. Feel free to inquire via email or through the site:

www.contactclimbinggym.com​​​

chris.horton@contactclimbinggym.com

The wait will be over soon, (not soon enough)!

Eric Carlos · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 40

The link didn't format right so lets do this again.  www.contactclimbinggym.com   

Please say you are not using Walltopia for your walls.    Anyone but them.

Vertical Solutions?

Eric Carlos wrote: The link didn't format right so lets do this again.  www.contactclimbinggym.com   

Please say you are not using Walltopia for your walls.    Anyone but them.

Vertical Solutions?

Thanks Eric, fixed the link in my post as well.

We are indeed going with Vertical Solutions!
Emily Kagan · · Saint George, UT · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0
Jared Casper wrote:

As a St. George resident, there are plenty more reasons I would want a gym.  First off, your 5min/2min numbers are bit optimistic.  Most crags are 15-20 min drive from my house, and since I don't crush 5.12 (or even 5.11) many of those that close only have a handful of routes that I can climb so need to go further for variety.  So getting a reasonable amount of climbing in requires a multi-hour commitment.  When I lived in a town with a gym I could get in, knock out 5-10 new-to-me routes, and shower all within 1.5 hours; meaning I could do it in the morning before work without having to wake up at 4am. And speaking of getting up at 4am, many months are way too hot to climb past sunrise so you have to either wake up at 4am and/or chase shade which further cuts down your route options and thus time commitment. There's also my kids who struggle to get up a 5.6 so the choices of routes to take them on is extremely limited and its very difficult to take them on a quick 1 hour climbing trip after school, which is something that we did a lot when I lived near a gym.

Note that I'm not really complaining, I love the easy access to climbing here.  Just giving reasons why I would use a gym when there is such easy access.

And then there are all the reasons beyond that that people go run on a treadmill instead of on the street... paying a monthly membership helps motivate you to actually go in, convenience of showers/etc., the social scene, etc.

So while I have no idea if a climbing gym would make economic sense here, I'm at least one resident that would make use of it and probably get a membership for myself and maybe wife and kids.

There is a new, badass climbing gym in the works for Saint George.... projected to open fall of 2019! The founders are wonderful people, skilled and veteran climbers who you’ve likely bumped into at chuck, and are planning to not disappoint!

Emily Kagan wrote:

There is a new, badass climbing gym in the works for Saint George.... projected to open fall of 2019! The founders are wonderful people, skilled and veteran climbers who you’ve likely bumped into at chuck, and are planning to not disappoint!

Hey, that’s us! Contact Climbing

fossana · · leeds, ut · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 13,231

Nice to see this coming together.

Chan P. · · Cottonwood Heights, UT · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 16
Chris Horton wrote: We're in the loop on that, Eldo is building it and I'm sure they'll do a great job. It'll be good for the campus and students, but won't be everything SG needs.

I know we've been talking about a bouldering gym, which was the original plan but what's now in the works is a full-on climbing/fitness/yoga facility with everything you could ever hope for in a climbing gym. We hope to make an announcement after the CWA Summit. Be stoked, be very stoked.

I got into climbing because of a small, affordable, friendly, awesome climbing gym. If we haven’t moved by the time you’re open, and it’s not super expensive, my wife and I will be there to train a couiple times a week. In the mean time, if you need help with anything that you’d feel comfortable delegating, please let me know. I’d be happy to help where and when possible.

Jared Casper · · St. George, UT · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 0

For anyone following along, Contact Climbing announced the location for their gym in St. George a couple of days ago:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoKwDeYjK0N/

Thank you everyone for all of your support and interest! Keep an eye on our website and social media for updates. We can't wait to open our doors to the climbing community!

Morgan S · · Richfield, UT · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 96

Gosh... Another reason to move to St George.  

Roots · · Redmond. OR · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20

It's cold there too....

Morgan S · · Richfield, UT · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 96

St George is about as good as it gets temperature wise.   Really mild winters. The best spring and fall.  Only downside is the summer is a bit toasty.  Hence the gym, to get out of the heat.  

Joe Kreidel · · San Antonio, TX · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 1,525

Congrats guys! I just opened a bouldering gym (VS gym! Great choice!), and know how difficult of a journey it is. Best of luck along the way, if you have any questions feel free to send me a message. 

Mike S · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 15

St. George sucks. Don't come here. 

DrApnea · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 250

AC on the hot days would be awesome.  I'd climb there when I'm in town during the summer. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern Utah Deserts
Post a Reply to "Bouldering Gym in Saint George?"