Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Petzl COUER PULSE (Availability & Usage?)

Original Post
Josh Janes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 8,815

I have a few questions on availability and usage of the Couer Pulse for those who have them or are in the know...

1) You can currently buy the 12mm size in the USA but I've heard that there are both 10mm and 8mm versions as well. Does anyone know if the smaller sizes are available and if so, where?

2) Do they work well? Have you used them for rigging or even taken a fall on them? Any quirks or tricks?

3) The instructions for the 12mm version specifically say not to use a 1/2" bit because that creates a 12.7mm hole. I'll be using these for positioning and new-routing (probably not going to be falling on them) and I'm curious if I could get away with a 1/2" bit (or perhaps an older 1/2" bit with worn-down shoulders)? Anyone try it to see how they fit?

Thanks.

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490

There is a 12mm version for industrial use and an 8mm version for caving, not heard of a 10mm one. The 8mm is readily available in Europe (it´s more expensive than the 12mm model though).

Greg Barnes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,807

Just use Fixe Triplex bolts with 12mm hole hangers, they are super easy to remove (loosen the nut a bit and yank with a quickdraw), and reusable. You need a 12mm bit. Order a few plus a few 12mm hole hangers and a bit or two and you’re set. 

Josh Janes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 8,815

Jim, if you look at the Petzl Technical Notices/Instructions, you'll see reference to a 10mm version.

Greg, this is great advice and certainly the cost-effective way to go. The main advantage I see to the Petzl is that it is tool-free and fast. Of course, for my use I'd probably have tools with me...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Petzl COUER PULSE (Availability & Usage?)"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion