Mountain Project Logo

Oh no! Grivel!

Original Post
alpinejason · · Minneapolis · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 176

I've been lauding Grivel's crampon durability for years! 

Luc-514 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 12,536

How much use have they seen?

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

Those look like they had a good long life! 

Yannick Lockhead · · Ottawa, ON · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 60

The dreaded microfracture!  Even metal gear (crampons and ice tools) have a lifespan.  They look a little rusty -  how old are these?  

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

3/10 

I would guess this is their 4th season. I wore them regularly for a couple seasons but they've been on the rotation since. Maybe 50-60 days? Other than a little surface corrosion where the paint/anodizing/? has flaked off they're in pretty good to fair condition. 

Where do crampons go to die? How many people thrown out broke or worn out crampons? I have a pair of BD Stingers I keep swapping front points on; the secondary points are nubs but I'll usually sell gear before it's junk. Seems like there's always a market for gear beyond its useful life. 

Jack C · · Green River, UT · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 325
Bill Kirby wrote:

3/10 

Don't you dare imply alpinejason is a troll.  Alpinejason is the man.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
alpinejason wrote:

I would guess this is their 4th season. I wore them regularly for a couple seasons but they've been on the rotation since. Maybe 50-60 days? Other than a little surface corrosion where the paint/anodizing/? has flaked off they're in pretty good to fair condition. 

Where do crampons go to die? How many people thrown out broke or worn out crampons? I have a pair of BD Stingers I keep swapping front points on; the secondary points are nubs but I'll usually sell gear before it's junk. Seems like there's always a market for gear beyond its useful life. 

Just weld that sucker back together. What's the worst that could happen?

Anthony L · · Hobo gulch · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 20

Sometimes the companies like to see where the piece went wrong/broke. I’d shoot grivel an email. 

Luc-514 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 12,536
Anthony Lubetski wrote:

Sometimes the companies like to see where the piece went wrong/broke. I’d shoot grivel an email. 

I'd do that as well with a nicely worded email.

I've already emailed Grivel and Liberty Mountain. Not looking for warranty claim just think they should be aware of equipment failures. 

Petsfed 00 · · Snohomish, WA · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 989
swaghole wrote:

The dreaded microfracture!  Even metal gear (crampons and ice tools) have a lifespan.  They look a little rusty -  how old are these?  

That’s not a microfacture. That’s just a fracture.

I’m a bit out of practice with my stress analysis, rusty if you will, but that’s about where i’d expect that fracture. Just not so soon.

Just Solo · · Colorado Springs · Joined Nov 2003 · Points: 80

Yeah, looks a little worse than just surface rust. But depending on boot fit, that crack doesn't seem odd, all things considered. They will probably give you some replacement credit, or just send you a new pair I bet.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "Oh no! Grivel! "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started