Mountain Project Logo

On the Road!!

Original Post
Caleb Schwarz · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 125

(topic was previously given the clickbait title "nylon or Dyneema" but has been adjusted to get more legit answers, carry on)

I'm going to be starting truck driving for a few months and don't want to get too out of shape on the road for 3-4 weeks at a time (driving 10 hours per day). I'm going to bring my Metolius rock rings and a pair of shoes to climb in some gyms. I have a few questions, feel free to answer any/all of them. I will be all over the country, and would like to make a little driving bucket list of places to hit.

1. What are some cool gyms you enjoy in major cities around the country? Any that have showers with daypass or are dirt cheap?
  2. What forearm/antagonist trainers do you enjoy that beat the marketing hype?
  3. Any good bouldering areas off of major highways?
  4. Tips for eating relatively cleanly on the road?
  5. Tips for staying awake without drowning in caffeine?
  6. Any other things I might not have thought of? Let me know!!!
eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 502

well played click-bait, good sir.

· · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Nylon is much better than dyneema.

Zacks · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 65

Yes well played sir.

I've never driven a truck but when i moved accross the country we would stop at rest areas (or wherever) and pull out the camping stove and make a quick one pot meal with pre-chopped veggies and whatnot.  Probably a lot healthier than stopping for fast food etc.  Probably hard to find a gym in a city with enough parking for a tractor trailor...

Owen McAndrew · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

#3 Vedauwoo is right off i80

David Rice · · San Antonio, TX · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 461

Climb Up in Oklahoma City is in an industrial part of town and near an interstate. 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 195

Use the rope!

Northeast Mountain Guiding · · Lincroft · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 2,642

Click bait haha! Well played young sir, well played lol!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "On the Road!!"