Mountain Project Logo

Table Mountain Bolts

Original Post
Mark Roth · · Boulder · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 13,500

It's time to start an upgrade of the hardware. Hardly anything is stainless and I have noticed some pretty dangerous anchors. I think the BCC is planning a big volunteer bolt replacement event in September.  Even if the event is very successful, there will still be tons of work to do. That is why I have decided to start now...

If you are interested in helping, great.  Let me know.

Please report sketchy bolts that you know of here, and I can prioritize my efforts.

Thanks

Tim Meehan · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 275

Hey Mark. I am interested in helping out. Send me a message when you're ready to get started.

TradRick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 30

I’m interested in helping. 

GabeO · · New Haven, CT · Joined May 2006 · Points: 306

Kudos!  This is important.  Table gets a bad rap, in part because of how many noobs go there.  But that's part of the reason why this is so important - someone climbing for a short time is not going to look at a rust line on the rock coming down from under a bolt the same as a more experienced climber.  It's good to get that stuff upgraded.

GO

gspup · · Sweet Ridge, CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 5

Happy to help as well. No experience bolting though, would like to learn.

Brandon Ribblett · · Breckenridge, Colorado · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 50

badbolts.com is a site that lists bad bolts, perhaps you can get north table listed on that site and streamline the way people report them. 

ZachS00 · · Denver, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 15

Thank you for your effort.

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

Mark, the route Tendonkey Punch has stainless bolts and galvanized hangers. Last I was there, maybe 5 years ago, they were showing corrosion. 

I would fix it myself but it's a long way off my radar. I'd be happy to donate funds or send you SS hardware to do it.

GRANT K. · · Green Mnt Falls, CO · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 0

Hardware upgrade at North Table Mountain is a great idea.  

Makes me wonder if we can do anything to help prevent falling on old hardware? Is un-polishing a thing?  The most popular vertical routes are greasy and polished.  Routes like Deck Chairs are so awesome however all the holds look  glassy and for me are slippy.
 Portable power washer with a long hose? A Generator and a backpack style sand blaster?  

Anyone have suggestions on restoring rock to original condition? 

Mike Morin · · Glen, NH · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 1,255
Mike McHugh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 459

I'll help.

Is there any chance that MP could throw the switch and incorporate the "fixed hardware" option for routes on Table Mountain? It's working really well in Eldo.

Thanks for the responses

If you have a drill, removal tools, and know how.  Please come up with me.

Some others mentioned wanting to learn.  That can work too. I'll get back to each of you that messaged me soon.

If you can't come out and actually help please consider a small (or huge) donation to the ASCA.  They operate on donations and have been very helpful.  They have supplied me with enough hardware to get started.

Wes F · · DENVER, COLORADO · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 35

the first bolt on insult and flattery should be moved or have a bolt added below it. pretty sketch 40 ft. fall on belay anchor if you blow it.

Jason Antin · · Golden, CO · Joined May 2009 · Points: 1,270

Happy to help as well - this is also something the Foothills Climbing Community would be psyched to be a part of.

Jason

Tzilla Rapdrilla · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 840
Wes F wrote:

the first bolt on insult and flattery should be moved or have a bolt added below it. pretty sketch 40 ft. fall on belay anchor if you blow it.

Feel free to add a bolt on I & F if so desired and ping me if help is needed.  It should be noted that before wide scale replacement goes forward which often results in chop and patch, examine the bolts to see how they look.  I replaced the hangers on NIMBY a few years ago after they had been there for 20 or more years and some of the bolts looked like they just came out of the box.  No need to scar the rock for bolts that are still just fine.  

Here are the bolts from This Ain't Naturita, Pilgrim.

Honestly they all seemed mostly fine, except the anchor (there were other problems there besides rust). I was able to re-use most of the holes, and that is the plan for whatever we replace.  

Yes these bolts might last another 5 or 10 years, but it's not worth waiting until it's too late.  It's also easier to extract them before they get too rusted.

Matt B · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 64

I don't have bolting experience, but I'd be happy to learn and help out. I climb there a lot in the winter/cold weather, so I'd like to be able to give back to the area. 

Let me know if you'd like my help!

kevin murphy · · Longtuckity, CO · Joined Feb 2005 · Points: 300

Mark has this happened yet?

kevin murphy wrote:

Mark has this happened yet?

Just one route so far.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Table Mountain Bolts"
in the Colorado