For next few days, REI will DOUBLE your gift to the Access Fund - up to $65,000. Donate Now!
Mountain Project Logo

Dick Ingraham under a rock

Original Post
Lee Davis · · Belen, NM · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 350

Ok... just one more story...  Dick Ingraham and I drove up to Aguirre Springs in the Organs to attempt the "Flea Tree" on the west side of Sugarloaf in the Organs. Can you imagine a time when an entire west side of a major peak was entirely unknown? It was 1969. We arrived in Dicks Chevy carryall and started the approach., After  about 1 1/2 hour (normal for the Organs). It started to rain. We made it perhaps 2/3rds of the way and were forced to shelter under a huge rock to escape the rain. Eventually, Dick said, 'we are rained out', and he broke out his traditional bottle of blackberry brandy (for first ascents). We polished it off under the boulder, then headed back to the Chevy, arriving completely soaked to the bone. In the shower at my dorm I stood with all my clothes on, gradually stripping in the hot water .That remains to this day as the most satisfying experience of my life... the shower... not the climb.   Lee Davis

apoet · · AZ · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 191

Keep em coming, these stories are awesome!

Jon Nelson · · Bellingham, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 4,735

Driving back completely soaked sounds miserable. But I suppose the brandy helped. 

Sounds like a great adventure with a great companion though. Thanks-

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Dick Ingraham under a rock"
in the Arizona & New Mexico