Mountain Project Logo

Planning a trip to smith this april, trying to avoid spring break... when SHOULDN'T I go?

Original Post
dsauerbrun · · Boulder · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 55

Been a long while since I've been to smith and have been itching to get back there. I remember it getting pretty crowded on weekends, especially when a lot of the college kids were on spring break.

I'm gonna take a week off work so I'd prefer to get out there when the kids are still in school. Any idea which week it gets super busy in april?

Sam Miller · · Bend, OR · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

I would avoid during spring break and on weekends. If you must go on weekends get there early to grab a parking spot, and maybe plan to climb on the far side crags. If you climb fairly hard you wont have as much competiton, but the 5.easy through 10s will be hotly contested on a nice spring weekend.

dsauerbrun · · Boulder · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 55

Sam Miller wrote:

I would avoid during spring break and on weekends. If you must go on weekends get there early to grab a parking spot, and maybe plan to climb on the far side crags. If you climb fairly hard you wont have as much competiton, but the 5.easy through 10s will be hotly contested on a nice spring weekend.

right, so weekends are unavoidable since I want to be out there for as long as possible... but I can avoid making my trip on spring break. Do you know which week happens to be spring break? I realize different schools have different spring breaks but I'm guessing there's one week in april where the majority of the schools within a 10 hour radius are off.

FYI: I'll be climbing 5.11+ but need those 10s for warmups :(

Sam Miller · · Bend, OR · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

dsauerbrun wrote:

right, so weekends are unavoidable since I want to be out there for as long as possible... but I can avoid making my trip on spring break. Do you know which week happens to be spring break? I realize different schools have different spring breaks but I'm guessing there's one week in april where the majority of the schools within a 10 hour radius are off.

Spring break should be over for all the oregon colleges sometime in the first week of april

James Maltman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 10

U.W. spring break starts the 17th of this month, but people usually finish finals and head down a few days earlier than that as well. 

Paul Trendler · · Bend, Oregon · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 113

Oregon's K-12 schools have March 26th-30th off for Spring Break. Washington usually has theirs the week before, or after. 

Dan Cooksey · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

You’ll be fine.  The park is huge and people tend to congregate in one area.  If you are looking to climb anything in the Agro Gully/Dihedrals area just get there early (before 9, I like to hit the park between 7-8).  

Best of luck and enjoy.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Planning a trip to smith this april, trying to…"
in the Pacific Northwest