Mountain Project Logo

Rumney :Weather condition on average end March

Original Post
curvenut · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 0

Hi

I am wondering what is the weather condition on average in Rumney on end of March ?

Like the temperature, the snow on the ground ?

Thanks

anna.gutwin · · Burlington, VT · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 75

Normally pretty hit-or-miss with rain/snow. The snow on the ground will most likely be all but gone by the end of this March, but it can be a fairly snowy month historically. Watch out though, lots of routes seep through late spring. That might be the biggest problem. Also, bring some sort of traction device (like microspikes), it may be icy...

Robert Hall · · North Conway, NH · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 16,233

Historically March is about the stormiest month of the year in New England and especially NH and coastal ME. Average is totally meaningless.  End March could be 65F and sunny, could be 25F and blizzard. 

Don't know where you coming in from, and what kind of lead-time you have in departing, but March to mid-April is probably the worst 6 weeks of the year to make a long-range plan to go rock climbing in northern New England. 

Will McFarland · · Rumney, NH · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 279

Could be good, could be bad.  Right now there is very little snow and most of the rock is dry.  It could warm up in March or we could get a few heavy snowstorms.  It's a gamble coming to Rumney outside of Sep/Oct.

Kevin Heckeler · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,412
curvenut wrote:

I am wondering what is the weather condition on average in Rumney on end of March ?

Like the temperature, the snow on the ground ?

Making plans more than a few days in advanced any time of year in the Northeast is a gamble.  Weather from March into April, as others have explained, can vary wildly.

If you're going to be in town anyway, bring your gear.  One of my most memorable trips to Rumney was in a freak record warmup in March 2012.  It hadn't been that warm in March ever, and hasn't since.  It's worth bringing your gear for that 5-98% chance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_2012_North_American_heat_wave

Jay Morse · · Hooksett, New Hampshire · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 30

You can almost always climb at Iron Man and most of the routes that are 5.12 or higher at Waimea that time of year.   You would most likely be able to climb Armed and Dangerous and parts of Prudential as well.  Most other crags would be at least partly wet or probably mostly wet.  It can still be cold, but as long as the sun is out anything 20 degrees or higher can be pleasant.  If it's cold, windy, and cloudy Rumney can be pretty unpleasant.

curvenut · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 0

Thanks everybody for the information ! One thing is  predictable is that weather is unpredictable !

Robert Hall · · North Conway, NH · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 16,233

Yup....and that "record warmth" in March 2012 (I think it was a couple of days in the 70's) ended with a cold snap; within 24 hrs the temps were -10F and 20 mph NW winds.  I remember it clearly since we had planted rhododendron plants the year before and when we came to the house in late Apr every leaf that had been above the snow-line in March was "deader-than-a-doornail", while those below the snow line were fine. That's NE in march. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Rumney :Weather condition on average end March "