Mountain Project Logo

Yosemite/Sequoia Mountaineering next week?

Original Post
Jack Anatta · · Oakland, CA · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

Hi all, 

So, the Sierras are getting dumped on finally.  As it happens this is matching up perfectly with my spring break.  I go to school in the Bay Area but will be staying with a friend in Fresno for the coming week, and I'm trying to figure out what sort of mountaineering hikes I can do up in the parks.  Alta Peak comes to mind, although its not really a mountaineering so much as a snow-shoe route from what I gather.  Does anyone have any recommendations for some interesting summits that require an axe and crampons?  I'm guessing that most of the roads except the main routes will be closed or chains only until sometime early next week...

Jake Rendina · · Santa Clara, CA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Unless you're committed to going to Yosemite, I suggest checking out Round Top Peak or Pyramid Peak in the Tahoe area! Great intro to mountaineering routes and the roads will be accessible.  

Jack Anatta · · Oakland, CA · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

Hi Jake,

Good info, thanks!  Both of those look awesome.  I'll keep those in mind for when I'm back in the Bay Area; they would make nice weekend trips. I've been wanting to try out the Crescent Moon Couloir on Roundtop.

Morty Gwin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0

The weather forecast is currently poor for next week meaning precip above 60% all days except Wednesday.  Know before you go..

https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org/

Cory B · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 2,577

Close to Fresno - Alta Peak (aka Skiers Alta via Pear Lake); Mt. Silliman, Kaiser Peak --

Alexander Wood · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

Ostrander lake in the park. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to " Yosemite/Sequoia Mountaineering next week?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started