Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Vacation in Las Vegas for 7 days, Any sport or top rope recommendations in 5.8.-5.11 please

Original Post
Brian Mooers · · Iowa City, IA · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0
phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 617

Hi Brian, if you buy the second edition of the Handren Guide to Red Rocks, you will find plenty of sport climbs in that range.  Most of them are located in the First and Second Pullouts on the loop road.  Many of the areas have routes close enough together that is quite easy to lead one route and toprope a few more.  It's a great book, well worth buying.

If it rains during your visit you should not climb on the red Rocks sandstone the next day or two.  If this happens, check out a place called Woodbury Road crags near Mesquite (I think on Mountain Project you will find them under St George Utah area crags.  There is probably 2 days worth of climbing in that range there, with the same ability to lead one thing and get bonus adjacent routes.

l rs · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 420
phylp wrote:

If it rains during your visit you should not climb on the red Rocks sandstone the next day or two.  If this happens, check out a place called Woodbury Road crags near Mesquite (I think on Mountain Project you will find them under St George Utah area crags.  There is probably 2 days worth of climbing in that range there, with the same ability to lead one thing and get bonus adjacent routes.

Sorry to hijack this post, but how does Woodbury Rd compare to other limestone crags in the area?  Sharp?  Runnels?  Never been before and it look pretty cool. Thanks!

phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 617

Leslie, I don't know how it compares, as I've not been to the other ones.  I've only been there twice, on what were otherwise unclimbable days at RR.  But we choose it because it was a quite easy drive, with only a couple of miles in, on a very good dirt road, followed by a few minutes approach.  The rock was razor sharp!  Would not want to fall on that stuff.  I've been at the two north facing crags, but I was just thinking about that because I'm coming into town in a couple of weeks and if it's cold and windy, I might head up there to check out the south facing cliff.  We walked up there when it was too hot to climb in the sun, but the routes looked nice.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,535

OP, check the red rock FAQ sticky at the top of the NV forum. It has links to threads that have robust answers to your questions 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Vacation in Las Vegas for 7 days, Any sport or…"
in the Nevada