Adventure Projects is hiring an Android engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Non-climbing mini biner that has a strength rating. Do any exist?

Original Post
Jon Nelson · · Redmond, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 4,720

I've tried the DMM XSRE, which is ideal strength-wise, rated to 4 kN. But it is a little too small and hard to easily clip-unclip. 

I've also used the Metolius FS Mini, which is a bit of overkill (at 22 kN) and a little bit big for my use.

In a gym somewhere, I once noticed a suitable mini biner on some workout apparatus, so I suppose it must have been strength rated, but it had no identifying label. Anyway, I know I'm being a bit picky here, but it does seem odd that it is hard to find a middling-strength-rated clip when so many clips are out there being made and sold. 

Thanks- 

(Edit: Sorry, 4 kN, not 4000! for the tiny XSRE. Thanks for pointing it out.)

Ryan Swanson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 50

The Camp Nano or Edelrid 19 G is too big for your use?

Bobby H · · Michigan · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0
Dylan Pike · · Sandy, UT · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 35

The steel snap links at hardware stores (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc) have strength ratings of something like 300 lbs. Find them with the bulk chain.

Chris Little · · Albuquerque N.M. · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0
Dylan Pike wrote:

The steel snap links at hardware stores (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc) have strength ratings of something like 300 lbs. Find them with the bulk chain.

These are called "Quick Links", and although I'm not sure how, exactly, you will use them, they should work.

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 324
Dylan Pike wrote:

I used those for the kayak hoists I constructed in the garage. The ones I got looked like this:

They're positively abysmal in terms of snagging on stuff, and I'm not sure they'll be ergonomically better for clipping and unclipping than the DMM ones, but at least they're cheap. (And you can find them at Home Depot, so you can handle them before buying to see if they'll work out.)

BrokenChairs BrettC · · Sultan, WA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 235

The biners that come with the Enos hammocks are rated to 400lbs.  Maybe try reaching out to the to see if they can send you some "replacements"

Robert Hall · · North Conway, NH · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 15,122

Quick Links (as I understand the term) are biner-like but have a screw gate.  They are designed to be exactly that, a link between two pieces of chain. Ratings vary but usually are in the 1200 lb range for 1/4 to 5/16 inch. 

I think the steel snap links that Dylan mentioned are more like a biner, and have strength ratings about 300 lbs.  Most "regular" gyms use them to snap on and off the various "handles" for apparatus. I think this is waht you want. 

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 324
BrokenChairs BrettC wrote:

The biners that come with the Enos hammocks are rated to 400lbs.  Maybe try reaching out to the to see if they can send you some "replacements"

Are these the ones? The page indicates it's the biner that comes standard with all ENO hammocks.

Señor Arroz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10
Dylan Pike · · Sandy, UT · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 35
Chris Little wrote:

These are called "Quick Links", and although I'm not sure how, exactly, you will use them, they should work.

Yeah, I wasn't talking about quick links. Someone below me posted a picture. Its a cheaply made carabiner with a terribly sharp notched gate.

BrokenChairs BrettC · · Sultan, WA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 235
Andrew Krajnik wrote:

Are these the ones? The page indicates it's the biner that comes standard with all ENO hammocks.

Those are the ones

Nick B · · Anchorage, Alaska · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 56

Edelrid 19 g is damn small and plenty strong.   

AndrewArroz wrote:

Thanks- 

Well, it is fine to be stronger than needed. They are a little big, mainly, and another I suspect that the wire gate snags more than the solid gates. But those are nice biners. 

BrokenChairs BrettC wrote:

Thanks- 

I just clicked on the link that the other fellow posted for them. It looks like they are pretty big, even bigger than the Metolius FS Mini II. I'll check further though. 

Andrew Krajnik wrote:

I used those for the kayak hoists I constructed in the garage. The ones I got looked like this:

They're positively abysmal in terms of snagging on stuff, and I'm not sure they'll be ergonomically better for clipping and unclipping than the DMM ones, but at least they're cheap. (And you can find them at Home Depot, so you can handle them before buying to see if they'll work out.)

Right, these and the other steel ones at hardware stores are probably terrible at snagging. Moreover, when I open and close them, I feel like the sharp edges on the gate will cut my finger. Thanks, though. 

Bobby H wrote:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#carabiners/=1br84j5 

Yes, I often check with McMaster. Nice resource, but never saw any links like the ones I described. Generally, too big and clunky.

They don't have to be aluminum, but I think aluminum would be nicer, and should be plenty strong. But no strength ratings....

Thanks-

dino74 · · Oceanside, CA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 60

Take a look at http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Rigging-Supplies-Hardware/Snaps-and-Carabiners

Most of their products have a work load limit rating

David Kerkeslager · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 119
Jon Nelson wrote:

I've tried the DMM XSRE, which is ideal strength-wise, rated to 4000 kN.

DMM really has stepped up their engineering if that's true.

Señor Arroz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10
Jon Nelson wrote:

Thanks- 

Well, it is fine to be stronger than needed. They are a little big, mainly, and another I suspect that the wire gate snags more than the solid gates. But those are nice biners. 

The best for not snagging are keylock solid gates, for sure. But you could also go with a wiregate like the BD OZ or Hoodwire that has a different way of avoiding snags. 

David Kerkeslager · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 119
Jon Nelson wrote:

Thanks- 

Take a look at the Petzl Ange S. It's close to the smallest/lightest on the market, non-snag nose, and it's rated for climbing.

The reason most people don't use these and other small biners is that they're small enough to be annoying to use, though, so your reasons for not just using a regular old climbing biner don't make much sense to me.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Non-climbing mini biner that has a strength rat…"
in the General Climbing