Mountain Project Logo

Bullwinkle Tower in Arches NP-anyone climb it?

Original Post
Jim Fox · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 50

Planning to climb the Owl in Arches soon and wondering if anyone has climbed the nearby West Crack on Bullwinkle Tower. Looks like a fun, easy route to do while we are in the area.

Is it worth the effort? 

Is there a decent rap anchor on top?

Am I gonna die?

Andrew Peterson · · West Lebanon, NH · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 146

Climbed it a few years ago. Fun climb, but a bit short. I do remember the anchor was pretty sketchy/scary though.

I'd say the climb itself is worth the effort (just a short walk over from Owl Rock), but I probably wouldn't climb it again unless the anchor has improved.

BrokenChairs ~ · · Sultan, WA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 235

I climbed it in 2016 and it was easy but I remember it being sandy and the anchor being not great.  Maybe bring some webbing up to replace; it's worth giving a go if you're in the area but I wouldn't make a trip out of it. 

Actually it was Oct. 2015

George Perkins · · The Dungeon, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,019

Climbed it with a friend and my 6-year-old Oct. of last year. We had to help her some, but it was well-worth our effort!  It's probably a bit hard for the grade (especially for a child) and doesn't protect particularly well.

Anchor was a little funky (bolt + big slung block), but adequate enough and not a reason to avoid it.

JFM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,768

I climbed it a while back. A dusty crumbly mess. Awkward and I remember the bolts being... acceptable but just barely. Worth doing if you dont have anything else objective-wise planned. 

Jim Fox · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 50

Thanks for the input. Mostly want to climb the Owl but thought we might do the West Crack, since it's really close and probably won't take long. Don't like what I hear about the anchor, though. 

May pass on this. Idk..

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,107

i remember it being a fun little tower.  it's easy to combine with owl rock as it is very close.  we took our friends kids up it and it seemed pretty casual.  i don't really remember anything in particular about the anchor.

if the anchor is really bad you could probably simul-rap, counter-rap off a partner on the ground, etc - typical podunk tower shenanigans.

edward pinskey · · Bethlehem NH · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 625

bring webbing, the anchor is shit.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern Utah Deserts
Post a Reply to "Bullwinkle Tower in Arches NP-anyone climb it?"