Mountain Project Logo

Brainard lake Road Indian Peak Closures this spring

Original Post
Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425

Keep this in mind for those spring IPW skiing projects! 

http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-county-news/ci_31684791/boulder-county-brainard-lake-road-closure

The schedule for road closures due to construction at the popular Brainard Lake Recreation Area has been tweaked. And access is about to get better — before things get worse and stay that way for a good while.

When the schedule for closures affecting public access to Brainard Lake was first announced in November, it was stated that the 2.5-mile stretch of Brainard Road between Colo. 72 near Ward and the Brainard Gateway Trailhead would be closed Mondays through Thursdays through the end of February.

However, the contractor on the $3.5 million project has told Boulder County that it will be able to complete the current phase of work through the end of this month with no further weekday road closures.

That's the good news — but it ends there.

Starting March 1, the road will be closed to all travelers — that includes vehicles, bikes and pedestrians — for 24 hours a day, seven days a week, clear through June 28.

The purpose of that closure, according to Andrew Barth, spokesman for Boulder County Transportation Department, is to enable crews to safely excavate the area, haul material and rebuild the road.

"They are going to give everybody until the first of March, when they have to fully close the road to do the massive amount of work that they need to do," Barth said. Until then, "They'll do surveying and make sure they have their ducks in a row before really digging in. But it's not stopping anybody from going in on that the road" for the remainder of the month.

As for the looming complete closure, Barth said, "They have so much work to do in that short window that there's just no way to get people on and off that road (after March 1) with the sheer number of trucks they have.

"It has been a good winter for them to work, and hopefully it will continue that way and we can get it open before June 28. If the weather holds out and they get to digging and get the road built, it's always a possibility."

The project is a joint venture by the Central Federal Lands Highway Division of the Federal Highways Division with the U.S. Forest Service and the Boulder County Transportation Department.

Project highlights include full reconstruction of 2.5 miles of Brainard Lake Road, increasing the road width to 27 feet — it currently varies between 22 and 24 feet — and creation of a 4-foot shoulder in the uphill/westbound lanes to improve safety, help with snow removal and provide additional space for both cyclists and pedestrians.

Dave Hurst · · somewhat near Boulder CO · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 5

https://www.bouldercounty.org/transportation/plans-and-projects/brainard-road/

Fwiw, the Brainard Lake Rec Area ski and hiking trails, and IPWA trails--which will  NOT be closed during road construction, can be reached by accessing thru the South Sourdough trailhead at CR116, or the South St Vrain TH at the Tahosa Road. I don't know if the CMC cabin will be open, however.

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,476

Shhhhh, Dave! That's the secret ski access point, and the mountain research station road of course. It hasn't been overrun by dogs and kids yet, so you can actually ski.

I did ski towards Brainard on the Sourdough trail once with cross country skis. I think it has some pretty steep switchbacks at some point. It's not as chill as the CMC trail. But if you haven't skied the road that takes you up to all of the weather stations on Niwot Ridge, if it's not too icy it can be great. Plenty of room to slow down on the way down and you can get long glides.

Dave Hurst · · somewhat near Boulder CO · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 5

I don't know how secret the Sourdough Trail is anymore--last few times I was there, it was overrun with fat tire snow bikes, hikers and runners wrecking the trail by postholing, lots of dogs off leash, yada yada.The first mile north of the trailhead is always windblown and icy, but it's a good if steep connection, esp. north of the Peace Bridge, to Brainard. I wouldn't want to try Mt Toll for a day climb from there, though, as it would be a very long approach.

There's lot's of other great ski touring trails in the front range! But, I'm not tellin'. Find em for yourselves.

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,476

That's a drag. It's been years since I was on that trail from that access point. 

Dave Hurst wrote:

I don't know how secret the Sourdough Trail is anymore--last few times I was there, it was overrun with fat tire snow bikes, hikers and runners wrecking the trail by postholing, lots of dogs off leash, yada yada.The first mile north of the trailhead is always windblown and icy, but it's a good if steep connection, esp. north of the Peace Bridge, to Brainard. I wouldn't want to try Mt Toll for a day climb from there, though, as it would be a very long approach.

There's lot's of other great ski touring trails in the front range! But, I'm not tellin'. Find em for yourselves.

It's been gaining a lot of steam as a mountain bike trail the past couple years. 

gspup · · Sweet Ridge, CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 5

Yesterday a construction worker told us they will not start construction yet because there is still snow on the road. What did they expect this time of year ? Haha 

I'll be watching to see what happens and when it actually closes now.

haha and this is somewhat a low snow year.  There's snow there until late June and I bet they clear those piles out.  What do you think is going to happen with 8 foot drifts?  We'll probably get another dump or two as well. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Brainard lake Road Indian Peak Closures this sp…"
in the Colorado