Mountain Project Logo

Jackson area bc ski conditions

Original Post
Howard · · Costa Mesa, CA · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 2,695

I was wondering how bc conditions are currently and how worthwhile a trip from CA is.  Thanks!

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746
keith virostko · · Jackson, WY · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0

Things have settled down and Teton Pass is generally a good place to venture from right now.  As stated above by Brian check out Bridger Tetons site jhavalanche.org  for current conditions. I skied the park the other day and stayed on the standard uptracks.  Its' worth it at this time in my estimation,  plenty of snow here..

Awesome.  While we're on this, I was wondering if you expect tire chains to be required for driving in town between now and Friday.  After doing some research it seems because I'm flying in but only will be in town for only a few days, maybe renting a car would be more expedient than relying on the shuttle.  I'd like to explore the town, culture, beer, food etc. at my own pace.  So if I need chains, don't know if I can rent them cheaply for a compact vehicle I plan to rent; the chains I already own are for a van. So hoping I don't need chains unless chains are cheap to rent.  Maybe someone has solid advice unless I should be fine with bare tires? Thanks again.

Norm Larson · · Wilson, Wy. · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 60

If you are going to be skiing on the pass or going over the pass you'll probably need to rent something better than the usual little compact. Renting a 4wd shouldn't be a problem but check in advance. There is no shuttle for skiing the back country. It is easy to hitch though on the pass.

Gotcha.  How about in town, though?

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746

I've never seen folks use chains in town.

My best is most rental car companies will not want you using chains on their vehicles.  If you're worried about traction, rent a 4wd especially if you'll be skiing the pass.  Mostly to keep from getting stuck parking.

You can see current snow conditions on the pass here:

https://www.weather.gov/riw/cms_webcams_qview_wyo22

Here's what town looks like:

https://www.seejh.com/webcams/jacksonhole/jackson/town-square-broadway

Edit to add another cam of town:

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/wyoming/jackson/?cam=jacksonhole

I don't think the forecast looks too out of sorts for snowfall for the next week-ish.  A inch here or there is all.

Brian, thanks so much for the resources and insider beta.  Very, very helpful.  I'll make sure to check them in the future.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Jackson area bc ski conditions"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started