Mountain Project Logo

Climbing mentor

Original Post
Reed Lamb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

My name is Reed and I'm 21 and pretty new to climbing , I've done some mountaineering and some rock climbing but am looking for a veteran rock climber to mentor me so I can hone my skills and learn the ropes . Anyone know how to go about this ?

Pavel Burov · · Russia · Joined May 2013 · Points: 50

Come to your local gym. Spot there some folks are actually climbing (read: fully commit to real fall, no "ta-a-a-a-ake!" and no grabbing QDs.) Approach 'em, smile, and say "Hello!"

Roy Suggett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 6,565

Or...go to a real crag shop (not REI) and ask for input.

Dan Cooksey · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

For me this has never been a formal process “hello, would you be my mentor”.  Head to your local gym, socialize and make friends.  Make plans to hit the crag with these people.  Ask questions, if they only boulder or sport climb, ask them if they know someone who is into alpine or trad.  Make plans to climb with them.  It’s not really a science, just be social and open to meeting new people. I find it best to feel new friends out at a single pitch crag.  This way you can quietly sort out the bull shit for yourself. You will know who has the skills to mentor you and who will likely kill you.

best of luck 

TP2934 · · Bend · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 5

Taking a course from an AMGA certified guide is a good way to go. A little time with good guide can give you insights on best practices,, etc. andwill help you know what to look for in a good mentor. It's worth noting that every climber has some bad habits, some worse than others, so being able to recognize those habits and hone in on climbers who want to learn, are willing to change, and willing to improve habits and avoid making excuses is the most important thing. Even a mentor should be willing to learn with you. Can you be more specific about what types of climbing you'd like to learn? Basics, Bouldering, Sport, Trad, Multi-Pitch? And, where you're located and looking to climb? Also, the Rock Climbing and anchor books by Craig Luebben (sp?) are exceptional.

Reed Lamb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

1. Thanks for the info guys, I live in Yakima but I travel all over the PNW on a regular basis . I do some sport climbing but lack technique skills for climbing and knowledge on what to do on multi pitch routes and would like to have the knowledge to be safe, also have done some trad climbing in Colorado but not much.
Mike Sandefur · · Tacoma, WA · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 0

Dean Olin lives in the Tricities area and is a great resource and mentor for climbing. You can contact him through his site: http://therockclimbingguide.com

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 290

OP, look for a Facebook page for your local climbing. These pikers on MP are okay if you are traveling somewhere and just need a partner for the day, but, in areas without a huge number of climbers, the partner function....doesn't. Function worth a shit, that is.

FB, the climbing gym(s), meetups, etc are where you will find the "real" climbers, IME! ;-)

Have fun, be awesome, be safe! And, if you make it to Boise, let me know, and we'll round up some bodies for ya!

Best, OLH

Jplotz · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 980

Mike Sandefur wrote:

Dean Olin lives in the Tricities area and is a great resource and mentor for climbing. You can contact him through his site: http://therockclimbingguide.com

Couldn't agree more!  Dean on the Nose:

Dean Olin · · WA · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 10

Hi Reed, Shoot me a message if you're still interested.  I may be able to help.

Cheers

Healyje · · PDX · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 456

Give a shout if you're going to be in PDX in reasonable weather.

Roots · · Redmond. OR · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20
Eric Thompson · · Mountlake Terrace wa · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 125

Reed,

Get a hold of me when the days get longer and I'll swing some trad pitches with you.

Eric

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Climbing mentor"
in the Pacific Northwest