Mountain Project Logo

Hilti - A passion to climb

Original Post
Nate Tastic · · 88,4,108,50, 80 · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10
C. Williams · · the Climber Cave · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 1,152

Now if they would just sponsor my bolt habit so I don't have to scavenge on eBay.

Nate Tastic · · 88,4,108,50, 80 · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10

Per the comments on the second video, "Setting rock climbing routes is a challenging job - reach for the Hilti"

лирик монтажник

this outdated hammer drill, it is possible to know about the new model in 2017?

Hilti North America

Hello! In this video we show a customer that owns a TE  4-A18. We have since upgraded that tool to our 22v battery platform. Here's a link to learn more about it: https://www.hilti.com/cordless-systems/cordless-rotary-hammers/r6637213 [I updated link] also show a TE 6-A36 which is the current version of this tool. Here is a link to it as well: https://www.hilti.com/cordless-systems/cordless-rotary-hammers/r4694033

лирик монтажник

What are the differences between te4-18 and te4-22?

Hilti North America11 months ago

The main difference is the battery platform. The TE 4-A18, generally only sold in the US and Canada,  runs on our older 18v platform. The TE 4-A22 runs on the new 22v platform, but can still be used with 18v batteries. The TE 4-A22 is currently offered in the US and Canada. For the most up-to-date listing of availability and pricing in your area,  please visithilti.com.

Currently, they have three rotary hammer models, which includes the two links up top as well as this smaller lighter drill: https://www.hilti.com/cordless-systems/cordless-rotary-hammers/r6631084

All models: https://www.hilti.com/cordless-systems/cordless-rotary-hammers

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346

Bosch FTW. Hilti is overpriced.

Doug S · · W Pa · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 55

Yeah I suppose it would come down to price. I use both Bosch and Hilti regularly at work and know their performance to be excellent and above other rotary hammers. Interesting that they are singling out the climbing market though. I think it would be tiny by comparison.

Taylor Spiegelberg · · Lander & Sheridan, WY · Joined May 2012 · Points: 1,160

Pretty high quality videos. I drive a Bosch, but I want them to keep these coming!

Drew Nevius · · Oklahoma · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 1,512
Taylor Spiegelberg wrote:

Pretty high quality videos. I drive a Bosch, but I want them to keep these coming!

Aren’t they? The owner of the media company (Retrospec Films) that did those is a climber! He also happens to be the owner of the Climb Tulsa gym

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
Doug S wrote:

Yeah I suppose it would come down to price. I use both Bosch and Hilti regularly at work and know their performance to be excellent and above other rotary hammers. Interesting that they are singling out the climbing market though. I think it would be tiny by comparison.

I´d guess they are trying to sell the rugged, manly sports image to wimpy construction workers, I mean there wasn´t a sport climber in Village People right?

Francis Haden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 9
Jim Titt wrote:

I´d guess they are trying to sell the rugged, manly sports image to wimpy construction workers, I mean there wasn´t a sport climber in Village People right?

Gold...

Mobes Mobesely · · Granite island · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 865
Doug S wrote:

I think they are just now figuring out that 1/2 of their cordless rotary hammer market is climbers. Even in construction I would guess the corded versions are used 99 to 1 over cordless

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
T Roper wrote:

I think they are just now figuring out that 1/2 of their cordless rotary hammer market is climbers. Even in construction I would guess the corded versions are used 99 to 1 over cordless

The only time we used our TE 7 was convenience, too much water on job site or no close power. We had connect so many cords the corded drill would blow a breaker. 

The cost was tough to shallow because we don’t use the TE 7 much. Hilti makes all its money on bits. There’s not much markup on the tools. I had to wait until they ran a special that gave out a free cordless drill, a flashlight and a grinder. 

I will say Hilti TE70 and 50s and other tools are worth every penny over Bosch. We drill hundreds of holes a day. My employees can’t seem to destroy Hilti tools the way they can Bosch. For industrial construction Hilti is worth the extra coin. For route development.. probably not.

Max Tepfer · · Bend, OR · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 1,645
Drew Nevius wrote:

Aren’t they? The owner of the media company (Retrospec Films) that did those is a climber! He also happens to be the owner of the Climb Tulsa gym

Interesting.  Does he know he's using footage obtained illegally?  Drones aren't permitted at Smith Rock State Park.  (which make's it pretty ironic that Ian was featured in the film given that he works for the park)

Max Tepfer wrote:

Interesting.  Does he know he's using footage obtained illegally?  Drones aren't permitted at Smith Rock State Park.  (which make's it pretty ironic that Ian was featured in the film given that he works for the park)

Are you sure it was illegal and that they didn’t obtain a permit?

I don’t know any other details about the video

Ryan Swanson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 50
Max Tepfer wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

That and the dude that whipped damn near to the ground on Chain Reaction.  Was his belayer 70 lbs?

Drew Nevius wrote:

Are you sure it was illegal and that they didn’t obtain a permit?

I don’t know any other details about the video

99% sure.  I've worked photo shoots at Smith that wanted to use drones and couldn't.  I could be wrong, but I'd be very, very surprised if the photographer would be willing to own up to the park that he/she took that footage and got paid to do so.

Gotcha. Sounds like you have first hand experience with it. Not to argue the contrary, but I’m surprised the park doesn’t make exceptions in order to bring in extra revenue to help their budget.

I should clarify that only I know he did some of the video, but i don’t know for a fact that he did all of it - it is possible the Hilti videos are a combination of video from multiple sources

After your initial post, I browsed through his website and he lists Hilti as a client.  It's conjecture, but I'd guess he contracted out the actual shooting of the footage to photographers he could find at the various locations and then edited it and sold it under his media company.  Do you know him well enough to find out who the photographer was?  

cashmab · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,795

I wonder if/when they're going to start advertising their injectable morters to the climbing community for glue-in bolting. So far they don't seem to want to go there, I'm sure that liability is hard to navigate...

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490

Bonkers! The profits on the resin they sell to climbers would pay for the coffee served at the management meeting held to dicuss the matter, probably wouldn´t pay for their time and certainly wouldn´t pay for the cheapest advertising agency in the world to make a presentation and run a campaign.
Apart from the facts that the choice of resin is decided by the manufacturer as it is part of the certification and only one minor company mentions their products, the only product Hilti make is their cheapest resin which nobody uses and is still vastly overpriced and their minds are more concentrated on breaking into the mining and civil engineering markets where the profits are measured in tens of millions.

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 0
Max Tepfer wrote:

After your initial post, I browsed through his website and he lists Hilti as a client.  It's conjecture, but I'd guess he contracted out the actual shooting of the footage to photographers he could find at the various locations and then edited it and sold it under his media company.  Do you know him well enough to find out who the photographer was?  

Are you looking to narc the photographer out?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Hilti - A passion to climb"
in the Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors