Mountain Project Logo

Crampons for small boots

Original Post
max huecksteadt · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 75

Max 

alpinejason · · Minneapolis · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 175

Would you be comfortable bending the tabs inward? Grivel have the largest tabs that I'm aware of. Won't compromise the crampon's overall integrity. 

julio412 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 0

I saw a post somewhere where someone threaded a  nut and bolt through the holes on the rear lugs on a pair of Grivels to take up the slack.

Chris C. · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 337

In all seriousness, are you certain that you are trying to fit them correctly?  Ideally you would be able to move the heel further back until it contacts the two heel tabs, and then you would adjust the heel lever and linking bar to fit from there.  

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,800
Chris C. wrote:

In all seriousness, are you certain that you are trying to fit them correctly?  Ideally you would be able to move the heel further back until it contacts the two heel tabs, and then you would adjust the heel lever and linking bar to fit from there.  

The reality is that some boots are so narrow at the heel that doing what you suggest puts the tabs an inch or more ahead of the true heel, and the rear-most points are nowhere near the back edge of the sole.

webdog · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 0

I'm curious too. A friend has the same issue. Baturas and BD crampons

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,800

If you are handy at all at the workbench, I suspect (haven't proved it by actually doing this) you can enlarge the tabs by putting something bulky and stout over them. I would look at the ferrules used to swage cable. They come in a range of sizes. Either find a tight fit and tap it on the tab with a hammer, or epoxy a loose-fitting one in place.

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

I think you need to tighten down the fine adjust knob to make them tighter. My wife has 38 Nepals and I’ve fit Cyborgs, Stingers and Bladerunners to her boots. You gotta be overlooking something.

Brian Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 478

My wife wears size 39 Rebel Pros. Here they are with the Grivel G20 Plus. I bent the heel tabs in with channel locks to be snug.

I did the same with BD Crampons, and I do the same for my size 46 boots to make them snug. I wouldn't recommend bending back and forth a bunch due to the potential to weaken the metal.

max huecksteadt · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 75
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Crampons for small boots"