Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

New boulder problem on Kraft Mountain?

Original Post
Myles Enriquez · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 25

There's a large boulder coming out of the west facing hillside of Kraft Mountain with a pretty fun traverse on it. Does anyone know if it's been climbed before? There's a huge Eye Bolt at the top of the boulder, but when working on the traverse, it felt pretty fresh.

If not, I'm calling it "Red Whale" and giving it the grade of V3-4. Was hoping some people could hop on and give it a go to find it's true grade. It's about a 15+ move problem, with all types of holds. Precise footwork is pretty involved. It's powerful during the beginning and end. The approach is not too bad. 2 pads are decent for the fall, you'll need some spotters.

I wish I took a better photo, but I found one on MP taken by Dave Custer (thanks man) shown below and circled the boulder:

You can view a clip of the climb here on my buddy's instagram. It's shot at a weird angle, so boulder might look a lot bigger if you ever go up and try it.

Rprops · · North Las Vegas · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 865

I've built rope swings from that eye bolt and top roped the easiness on the side away from the parking lot, and meant to do the steeper side toward the lot, where you traversed but straight up.

Myles Enriquez · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 25
Rprops wrote:

I've built rope swings from that eye bolt and top roped the easiness on the side away from the parking lot, and meant to do the steeper side toward the lot, where you traversed but straight up.

That actually sounds like a lot of fun!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "New boulder problem on Kraft Mountain?"
in the Nevada