Mountain Project Logo

What annoys you about your local gym?


J-Moe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 20
curt86iroc wrote:

My local gym allows members to brings their dogs and leave them tied up outside to a bike rack while they go inside to climb/workout/yoga.  i've spoken to management several times, and each time they've told me the dog is fine and it's not my problem.

We are not just taking about 75* tuesday afternoons for 30 minutes either.  Multiple times i have seen the same dog there when i enter the gym as when i leave (2 hours later), and multiple times it has been raining and under 45* outside. sometimes owners leave water bowls for their dogs, sometimes they don't.  i'm quite close to calling local animal control...


Are you talking about that black dog that gets tied up outside of earth treks? That pisses me off too - but never having owned a dog, I thought maybe I was overreacting. Maybe I'll say something to management too. 

Brian Malone · · Olney, MD · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 3,610
King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430
Creed Archibald wrote:

John,

From your posts on here, you've always struck me as a really stand-up guy. I imagine you are good at striking this balance. Unfortunately, that is not the norm. At my gym, the coaches are about 22-years-old and have no clue how to manage children. As a teacher, I am constantly annoyed by their terrible classroom management skills. The coach will walk by and say, "Last try on that problem. Everyone meet up stairs in five minutes." Twenty minutes later the kids are still gang-lapping the boulders. It's a mess. 

I do not, however, agree with your assessment that these kids are the "future of climbing" and therefore entitled to the gym. A few will stick with it; however most of these kids will never be climbers. This is a childhood hobby that will be replaced with other childhood hobbies. Their parents pay for the climbing team as a way of exercising their children. I believe that paying adults, who are passionate about climbing and work hard to train for their sport, are far more entitled to the equipment than the team of rugrats, who would probably be just as happy playing on the monkey bars. 

Hrumpf™?

I coached in Santa Cruz when a kid by the name of Chris Sharma came and briefly joined my team....He turned out to be the future of sport climbing.

I climb now a bit in Sac at Granite Arches...kid by the name of Alex Honnold got his start there and another young gun from there Colin Wills is pretty strong too, may end up representing the USA in the Olympics.

Most of the Adults in those gyms are just getting a workout and probably would be just as happy to play on the monkey bars?

No, climbing even on plastic is a whole 'nother thing than just monkey bars that we all enjoy more and youth ARE the future of climbing. Gyms are overwhelmingly where they get their start now. This doesn't mean that anyone else's needs must be set aside to accommodate them,  but we can share the space easily ie its not a kid's problem, its their supervisor's problem.

I love having the young crushers around.

Nate Doyle · · Sierra Foothills · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 39
Brian Malone wrote:

https://gripped.com/profiles/indoor-weekly-10-unwritten-rules-of-climbing-gyms/

"Would you drop f-bombs at the pub?" 

Yes. People drinking is a sure fire way for them to start dropping f-bombs.

Some good points in that article. And some of it is lame. 

Nate Doyle · · Sierra Foothills · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 39
King Tut wrote:

Hrumpf™?

I climbed in Santa Cruz when a kid by the name of Chris Sharma came and briefly joined my team....He turned out to be the future of sport climbing.

I climb now a bit in Sac at Granite Arches...kid by the name of Alex Honnold got his start there and another young gun Colin Wills is pretty strong too, may end up representing the USA in the Olympics.

Most of the Adults in those gyms are just getting a workout and probably would be just as happy to play on the monkey bars?

No, climbing even on plastic is a whole 'nother thing that we all enjoy more and youth ARE the future of climbing. This doesn't mean that anyone else's needs must be set aside to accommodate them,  but we can share the space easily ie its not a kid's problem, its their supervisor's problem.

I love having the young crushers around.

Never had a complaint about GA. 

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,535
Creed Archibald wrote:

John,

From your posts on here, you've always struck me as a really stand-up guy. I imagine you are good at striking this balance. Unfortunately, that is not the norm. At my gym, the coaches are about 22-years-old and have no clue how to manage children. As a teacher, I am constantly annoyed by their terrible classroom management skills. The coach will walk by and say, "Last try on that problem. Everyone meet up stairs in five minutes." Twenty minutes later the kids are still gang-lapping the boulders. It's a mess. 

I do not, however, agree with your assessment that these kids are the "future of climbing" and therefore entitled to the gym. A few will stick with it; however most of these kids will never be climbers. This is a childhood hobby that will be replaced with other childhood hobbies. Their parents pay for the climbing team as a way of exercising their children. I believe that paying adults, who are passionate about climbing and work hard to train for their sport, are far more entitled to the equipment than the team of rugrats, who would probably be just as happy playing on the monkey bars. 

IMHO, anyone paying membership dues, no matter what their age, is equally entitled to use of the facility. Those 'rugrats' are paying members too.

In terms of the complaints here, my point is simply that the teams aren't going anywhere, so instead of demanding the gym disban them so you can climb, perhaps approaching management with the request that they share the space could be a viable option. 

I'd also point out that those kids not only pay 2-3x what you do foe team dues, but they also spend 5x what you do in the facility on snacks, drinks, and climbing gear. Our per kid revenue is huge, far more than our per adult revenue. Add in the feeder rec programs, summer camp revenue, and climbing schools and it can be a huge chunk of gym revenue.

C Archibolt · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 876

Tut and Wilder - 

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I spend all day with other people's children. Between teaching reading and writing, I have to also act as a make-shift therapist. If some people in this country get their way, I might also be required to act as an armed guard. When I go to the gym, I want to train. I don't want to be around other people's children, even if one of them will become the next Sharma. If there was an "adult only" gym in my town, I would join. 

C Archibolt · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 876

And in the meantime, bitching about it on the internet will have to suffice. 

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430
Creed Archibald wrote:

Tut and Wilder - 

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I spend all day with other people's children. Between teaching reading and writing, I have to also act as a make-shift therapist. If some people in this country get their way, I might also be required to act as an armed guard. When I go to the gym, I want to train. I don't want to be around other people's children, even if one of them will become the next Sharma. If there was an "adult only" gym in my town, I would join. 

Welp there is always the difference between a given individual's needs and the needs of the whole. Sorry, sounds like some burnout?

C Archibolt · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 876
King Tut wrote:

Welp there is always the difference between a given individual's needs and the needs of the whole. Sorry, sounds like some burnout?

I don't think so. I enjoy being at work and interacting with the kids. But to avoid burnout, I have to set boundaries and leave work at work. 

I'll also say, when I lived in Oklahoma and there were a few token teenagers climbing at our gym, I always enjoyed talking with them. It's the poorly-monitored herd that makes me feel like I just wallking into a substitute gig. 

Chad Coragiulo · · Marysville, WA · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

I love my local gym, but I agree with what a lot of people have said. The climbing team can really be a vibe killer because the kids/teens do not respect the other members that are climbing. They climb over, under, around you. I mean, hey, it's cool kids are excited about climbing, but it would be nice if the coaches didn't allow them to climb anywhere and respected what other paying members are doing too. 

Sam Cieply · · Venice, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 25

I am sick of all the acro yogis and ninja warrior types flipping and handstanding around the bouldering mats and doing flagpole pull ups on the stairway. My gym seems to cater to these parkour-ists more than climbers. Last time I foam rolled in the yoga room, I shared it with a capoiera guy dancing around with a big stick while blasting desert trance. And enough with the headstand yoga/inversion workshops, need more relaxing and meditative restorative yoga classes to help me unwind from a long week of CLIMBING!

I also wish they would invest in some basic training for climbing equipment like pinch grip trainers, rather than the mini trampoline or scooter rack they just added.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "What annoys you about your local gym?"

Log In to Reply