Mountain Project Logo

BD Technician Gear Loops

Original Post
nlbaumgardner · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Anyone using this harness and have an opinion on the gear loops?  The loops are small: each measures 1/4" less wide than the loops on my old momentum. Think the fifth loop/haul loop in the back should help by moving belay gear off the other 4 loops.  But still concerned that the small size will make handling gear during a climb more difficult.

GabrielKoybz · · Brooklyn · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 645

I've found that the 5th loop in the back pretty much makes up for the small loops.  good place for anchor/belay gear.  anything more than a double rack up to 2s or 3s is pushing this harness's capacity though. 

Cool, thanks for the feedback!  

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105

Are the loops well-centered? Or do they have the problem the Solution has where the right-side loops are really far forward?

I think it depends on your waist size and what you consider as really far forward.  I measure 34" right at the top of my hipbones so went with a large size.  That puts both side loops almost perfectly symmetrical on me.  And both sides sit where i would say is pretty centered on the sides of my body.  

For reference, from the center of the belay loop to the front edge of the right-front gear loop is 6.5" if that helps you compare.  

I will note that i much prefer the location of these loops than on my old momentum (size medium) where the left loops were so far back i could only effectively use the front one.  I just wish the technician had larger main loops. 

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105

On my size XL Solution, it's 4.5" from the center of the top tie-in to the front edge of the right front gear loop. My waist is about 36-37" so you can imagine where that puts the right front loop on me (it's entirely forward of my hip bone). Compared to that 6.5" sounds like a big improvement!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "BD Technician Gear Loops"