Mountain Project Logo

Questioning why I moved to Utah

Original Post
Ryan7crew · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 485

I moved to Utah for the climbing back in October.  The climb is there and readily available, but the climbers are non existent.  I’m just saying, there were way more hardcore dedicated climbers in the southeast.  Where are all the bold, committed Utah ice and rock climbers?  If it’s anything more than a 10% chance of rain, or less than 80 degrees or not in the blazing sun, Utah climbers seem to stay at home.  Have you guys ever heard of climbing conditions??? So Utah climbers, prove me wrong.  I climb WI5, 5.12 sport and trad, multipitch, alpine, aid, walls, you name it.  Looking for partners to climb big, bold, difficult routes with, rock and ice.  Looking to travel anywhere on the weekends within 8 hours of slc.  Not looking to go climb 5.8 adventure romps though.  There has to be someone in Utah with similar goals.

Mitchell Wayne · · Buffalo, NY · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

I'm in Provo and would do top rope and getting back into sport. I climb around 5.9 (but that was back on the east coast and I'm not sure how that relates to out here). I'm not afraid of weather

Matthew Schwartz · · SLC · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

I'm at the U, I've been climbing for 5 years and climb consistent 5.12 sport. However, I only have a handful of trad leads and need more experience. Weather is not a problem (the more gnarly the more fun it is)!!

Mitchell Wayne · · Buffalo, NY · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

You'll be better than me but if you're okay with that, I'm down for climbing at Momentum and outdoor top rope/sport. I have gear

Sam Latone · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 45

I’m also from the SE, living in Denver. It’s a big world out here. It takes a long time to find your people, I’ve been here for 2 years and I am just now starting to find folks that I vibe with. I come to Moab as much as I can find partners. I have a variable schedule so it makes it tough for me.  I am not onsighting 5.12 trad at the moment but could get back to it without too much work. I will cleanly follow whatever you want to put up. DM me for my cell. Nice to meet you.

sam

Jack Crockett · · SLC · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 16

It's funny. After living in North Carolina for a few years, I found that the southern recreationalist was generally more laid back. Being from Colorado and now living in Utah, I found people here out west very quick to tell you how hard they climb, what hard alpine climbs they've done, and what kind of hangboard routine they do.

In North Carolina I'd commonly have partners that were ready to cut the day short and hit the brewery rather than sneak an extra route in. Climbing areas were less gauged by route quality but proximity to good swimming holes. I could never find partners that would do a 6 hour drive to RRG for a weekend. Seems like the weekend radius out here is larger.

These are all pretty anecdotal generalizations though. Tomato potato as they say. At the end of the day it just takes a while to find your type of partner probably. 

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911

When in doubt go boulder, I personally met many a great partner up LCC when everyone thinks the only thing to do is go to a resort and ski.

Hollyday Hansen · · Salt Lake City, Ut · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 25

You sound like an elitist looking for other elitists. I know them and there are plenty in Utah, but you need to break in and that means prove yourself. Good luck.

Peter Lenz · · Salt Lake City · Joined May 2008 · Points: 670

Perhaps you should head back to the Southeast, where the real climbers live.
Insulting the people of Utah, while bloviating about what a badass you think you are, isn’t going to get you far in the Wasatch. 

Paul Hutton · · Nephi, UT · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 740

I'm passing through. I'm in SLC tonight, thinking about going to the front. I'm also thinking about climbing in the comp at the front in Ogden tomorrow, but I'd rather get outside tomorrow.

5.12+ sport, recently onsighted my first 11a fingers trad climb. 

akafaultline · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 225

Why you bragging about wi5?

Personally I’d never respond to a partner ad like this-it’s like responding to a classified ad in craigslist that reads something like “wanted-the most handsome bf ever, I’m the most beautiful girl ever and all average guys suck.” I’ve climbed with people that climb significantly harder than this and they never portrayed themselves as elitist and to good to waste their time on anybody else. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Utah Partners
Post a Reply to "Questioning why I moved to Utah "

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.