Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Wrist pain /discomfort

Original Post
B SK · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

Hello people,

I am fairly new to rock climbing (6 months into it) and lately I've been experiencing some weird discomfort/pain in my right wrist while gripping open-handed holds. What happens is that my wrist kinda pops out causing mild pain/discomfort and lost of focus.

I tried to manage this issue by tapping my  wrist fairly tight to provide some support and the tape is doing avrather good job mostly on psychological level but a buddy of mine suggested I should quit tapping as the tape is hindering my wrist from getting stronger (btw my right hand is the non-dominant).

So, my questions are: should I continue tapping my wrist, shall this pass and what should I do to make it better? And should this be a sign of worry?

Thanks in advance y'all.

Bryce Adamson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 748

Unfortunately, climbing doesn't really strengthen your wrist the way you would want it to. Reverse wrist curls and rice bucket exercises can be good. When I hurt my wrist I avoided slopers, and used tape whenever I climbed, and continued using it for a couple of months after all pain went away. That's just what worked for me, and I'm not sure if I had quite the same thing as you. You can find professional advice for climbing injury management online and in print. I would not expect it to go away on its own.

B SK · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

In which manner did you move once your wrist was in a rice bucket?

Bryce Adamson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 748
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Wrist pain /discomfort"
in the Injuries and Accidents