Mountain Project Logo

Backpacking&Climbing Trips

Original Post
Sam Dahm · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Yo fellow outdoor dudes, ever since I got into climbing there has been more and more dust accumulating on my backpacking gear. This cannot go on any further. So, I ask you, are there any backpacking trails in Colorado also equipped with climbing areas as well?

Looking for anything on rock, mostly 5.6- 5.11 rates. 

Thanks,

Sam D

Alex R · · Golden · Joined May 2015 · Points: 16

I have heard good things about the wind river range in Wyoming. I haven't personally climbed there yet, but the backpacking is pretty great.

KevinCO · · Loveland, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 60

RMNP...Glacier Gorge; Notchtop; there is third class mountaineering off of Forest Canyon that rarely sees ascents since it is a backpacking approach.  Eagle Peak above Crater Lake in the Indian Peaks.  
There is a lot of technical rock north east of Crater Lake that looks very interesting.   

ConorCarroll · · Golden, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0
KevinCO wrote:

RMNP...Glacier Gorge; Notchtop; there is a technical summit off of Forest Canyon that rarely sees ascents since it is a backpacking approach.  Eagle Peak above Crater Lake in the Indian Peaks.  
There is a lot of technical rock north east of Crater Lake that looks very interesting.   

Lone Eagle for any one searching for beta....

Mike Mooney · · Silverthorne, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 0

Wigwam Creek in Lost Creek Wilderness 

Alex R · · Golden · Joined May 2015 · Points: 16

Also if you are looking for someone to do this kind of trip with, hit me up. I have been wanting to do this kind of thing as well, and it is hard to convince people on the front range to do a day long approach when they are used to parking a stones throw away from the crag.

KevinCO · · Loveland, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 60

Mount Julian is the interesting summit in Forest Canyon:

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/107035054/mount-julian

Justin Laursen · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 490

The Weminuche Wilderness is packed with climbing worth backpacking to. Most of the climbs are fairly mellow, as well (Wham Ridge, for example). If you're looking for the tip top though, then take a look at Pingora Peak. Not in Colorado, but worth the drive and hike.

Russ · · Golden, CO · Joined May 2015 · Points: 160

Check out Weevers needle in AZ

Stagg54 Taggart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 10

I'm pretty sure the San Juans qualify...

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

McCurdy tower is a half day hike in and is a pretty nice overnighter. However, the Goose Creek trail, which is basically a loop of the Lost Creek Wilderness, gives you options if you want to go further. It's a 27-30 mile loop depending where you start. You can incorporate McCurdy Tower and the Wigwams into this trip (on different days, they aren't close to each other). You'll also walk pass an incredible amount of rock that may have been touched once.

I did a lesser version of this. I went from the Goose Creek trailhead one day to the McCurdy tower, then climbed the tower the next morning and finished the loop in the dark the next day. It was incredible but I wish I had taken a week or more and stopped more.

The southern peaks of the Sangre's can all be done in a day but they don't have to. This is Kit Carson and Crestone Needle. Lots of wonderful camp sites and great options to set up camp and do giant ridge traverses one day, fish the next, and climb the next day.

Drive into Wyoming and the Windrivers are amazing. 

The theme you're probably getting is that almost everything is alpine or at least multi-pitch. That's going to be standard. You aren't going to find many areas with fantastic cragging that require an overnight approach. I bet that places like that exist (probably in the lost creek wilderness) but most people don't put in that kind of effort for single pitches, so it's been left undone. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Backpacking&Climbing Trips "