Mountain Project Logo

Chiggers?

Jon Rhoderick · · Redmond, OR · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 966

OP Derek,

I would personally still get in line for the doctor. Prednisone costs like $5 without insurance once you get the RX and makes poison ivy/oak MUCH better in my experience

Derek Rheingans · · Malibu Ca · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 113

It’s been 20 days now . Finally going to the doctor tomorrow. Free clinic . I’m sure they maybe see more of the rash end of things there considering they see a lot of homeless. If it was chiggers definitely gone. And if you ever get them. They supposedly have to burrow under ground at 60 degrees or so and die at 42. I washed everything in my car bagged it air tight and went snow boarding stayed over night with the windows dow. I was in a hotel and it got down to 15 plus wind chill. My friend came with and didn’t get a single bite.  Poison oak/ ivy is now what I think it is. But I heard mixed things on spreading I have it on my side now pretty bad . Legs don’t itch much. Arms Once a day. Aloe is amazing.calamine lotion is pretty good kids messing and covers your skin in a pinkish white film close to looking like chalk sorta. So you’ll look absolutely nuts in public... but it’s going up my arms and side and stomach and now my thighs it’s gnarly . I thinks I’m to blame for the spreading.
Healyje · · PDX · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 422
Healyje wrote:
Derek Rheingans wrote

Thats great advice....easy breakup ..cut and dry

wonderwoman wrote:

It looks like poison ivy to me.  I get it pretty bad.  My trick is to stick the suffering body part in the ocean.  It dries it up pretty quickly.  Fortunately enough for me, the ocean is practically at the end of my driveway.

Lucky me ...me too too bad it’s freezing. I’ll have to go for it I guess but wouldn’t I need to stay in for 30 mins or so at least, think it will have same affect with a wet suit 4:3?

Tylerpratt wrote:

You have no idea wtf you're talking about. You're misinformed and just plain wrong.

Chiggers do not burrow. They are actually in the arachnid family and behave exactly like the Tick. They are there to suck your blood. They do not lay eggs under your skin. Nail polish does not relieve itching and since there are no hatchlings it does jack shit. The itch is actually caused from the chemicals they release to make your blood flow better for them to feed. 

what OP has is probably Poison Ivy.  

DynoDave · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 0
Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,781
Jon Rhoderick wrote:

OP Derek,

I would personally still get in line for the doctor. Prednisone costs like $5 without insurance once you get the RX and makes poison ivy/oak MUCH better in my experience

If you have never taken Prednisone before, proceed with caution.  It messed up my life for weeks.  I had a bad run in with cow parsnip in Alaska and was desperate for relief.  I took Prednisone and ended up being unable to sleep more than an hour or two a night the entire time I was taking it, experienced wild mood swings and paranoia, roving body pain, was always hungry, but would get sick if I ate.  It was pure misery.  I have had a run-in with poison ivy since as well as a crazy reaction to a yellow sac spider bite.  Both times, after refusing Prednisone, the doctor prescribed me a topical ointment (fluocinolone) that worked within 48 hours with no side effects.  I took Benedryl while using the ointment.  I am not sure how common my reaction to Prednisone actually is, but the internet is littered with people that had similar experiences.

Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 40

Don't take fucking prednisone for poison fucking ivy. That is one retarded thing to do. Save that shit for when you are undergoing fucking chemo dude...what the fuck...

DynoDave wrote:

Can you people just read? Nail polish.. seriously. Read the forum before you post. Its a great way to actually learn shit.

Derek Rheingans wrote:

It’s been 20 days now . Finally going to the doctor tomorrow. Free clinic . I’m sure they maybe see more of the rash end of things there considering they see a lot of homeless. If it was chiggers definitely gone. And if you ever get them. They supposedly have to burrow under ground at 60 degrees or so and die at 42. I washed everything in my car bagged it air tight and went snow boarding stayed over night with the windows dow. I was in a hotel and it got down to 15 plus wind chill. My friend came with and didn’t get a single bite.  Poison oak/ ivy is now what I think it is. But I heard mixed things on spreading I have it on my side now pretty bad . Legs don’t itch much. Arms Once a day. Aloe is amazing.calamine lotion is pretty good kids messing and covers your skin in a pinkish white film close to looking like chalk sorta. So you’ll look absolutely nuts in public... but it’s going up my arms and side and stomach and now my thighs it’s gnarly . I thinks I’m to blame for the spreading.

OP check the folds in your mattress where it meets your boxspring. Looks for red dots maybe big or small all over. Check your fitted sheet too. It could be bed bugs if you have this in multiple sites and it could be swelling because you may have a slight allergy to them. 

Alicia Sokolowski wrote:

If you have never taken Prednisone before, proceed with caution.  It messed up my life for weeks.  I had a bad run in with cow parsnip in Alaska and was desperate for relief.  I took Prednisone and ended up being unable to sleep more than an hour or two a night the entire time I was taking it, experienced wild mood swings and paranoia, roving body pain, was always hungry, but would get sick if I ate.  It was pure misery.  I have had a run-in with poison ivy since as well as a crazy reaction to a yellow sac spider bite.  Both times, after refusing Prednisone, the doctor prescribed me a topical ointment (fluocinolone) that worked within 48 hours with no side effects.  I took Benedryl while using the ointment.  I am not sure how common my reaction to Prednisone actually is, but the internet is littered with people that had similar experiences.

Very much appreciate that. Doctor appointment today . Make sure to skip prednisone. Thank you

Tylerpratt wrote:

OP check the folds in your mattress where it meets your boxspring. Looks for red dots maybe big or small all over. Check your fitted sheet too. It could be bed bugs if you have this in multiple sites and it could be swelling because you may have a slight allergy to them. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Injuries and Accidents
Post a Reply to "Chiggers? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started