Mountain Project Logo

Excellent customer service from Trango

Original Post
Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

So I had some issues getting good sticks with my trusty Cassin XDreams at the beginning of this season. I finally got a pair of Trango Raptors after trying out a pair last year and speaking with Mike Rawdon. The Raptors I bought came with Mixed picks so I purchased the ice picks from CampSaver.

I had them sent to a friends PO Box in New Hampshire so I would have the picks for a big trip. Everything was great, got them quickly using free shipping, they arrived, but when I checked one of the picks the tapering wasn’t finished. No big deal I can file the edge down myself. I showed Mike and he recommended contacting Trango. Instead I contacted Campsaver who replied I could return the pick for a new one. F that! I was in the middle of a 2 week trip and while I didn’t need the ice picks it certainly made hard ice easy. Even the mixed picks do well in any kind of ice but the ice picks are almost cheating. If anyone has any questions about the swing of the Raptors I’m happy to answer.

So I emailed Trango. They replied happy to warranty and shipped me a new ice pick, pick weight and protector. Between Trango’s customer service and excellent ice tool design I’ll definitely a loyal customer. 

· · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

I've had good experience with them too when wondering about sizing in their Crag Pack. I only wish some of their gear was built better and more durable. 

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
anotherclimber wrote:

I've had good experience with them too when wondering about sizing in their Crag Pack. I only wish some of their gear was built better and more durable. 

I’ve got one of their lockers and it seems to be holding up well. That and the Raptors are the only gear I’ve used.

Poor durability of the Crag Pack doesn’t surprise me though. An $80 50L pack, on sale, just sounds like junk. I thought the pack was well thought out. Well considering I paid $160 for a BD Mission 50 and that things falling apart just using it for ice season, I suppose price doesn’t matter. Look at CCW packs. Solid and priced well.I'm thinking Valdez with a crampon pocket when the Mission finally craps out.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Excellent customer service from Trango"