For next few days, REI will DOUBLE your gift to the Access Fund - up to $65,000. Donate Now!
Mountain Project Logo

Red Rock - Routes that Stay Dry in the rain

Original Post
Ian Miller · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

I know not to climb on wet desert sandstone, and I know how to know if it's dry by checking the soil. My question is whether or not there are any routes at Red Rocks that stay dry when it rains. At RRG there are plenty of routes on overhanging rock with anchors before the lip, so you can climb in a downpour with no worries. I was thinking that a few crags like Sunny and Steep might be similar, but I can't remember where the anchors are on those routes or if they're really steep enough all the way to the top to be completely sheltered from the rain. Aside from the limestone crags, is there anywhere at RR you could theoretically climb during or immediately after rain/snow without worrying about damaging the rock?

Warrior · · Rock City, GA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 310

No.

Go climb limestone.

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,610
Warrior wrote:

No.

Go climb limestone.

This.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,535

No. Best practices in red Rock is to end your day as quickly as possible if it starts to rain and stay off the rock until the ground below it is dry. 

There is a lifetime worth of limestone within an hour of red rock if you get caught by the rain. Go sample some of it.

Big B · · Sin City, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0
Warrior wrote:

No.

Go climb limestone.

or granite 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Red Rock - Routes that Stay Dry in the rain"
in the Nevada