Mountain Project Logo

Where to try climbing shoes in LA

Original Post
Eric K · · Leavenworth, Washington · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 45

I'll be visiting LA soon and wondering if there are any shops which have a good selection of climbing shoes. Im really looking to try on the scarps Drago and it does not seem like one which retailers want to stock.

Daniel Howe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Try a climbing gym, or REI. 

Sam Cieply · · Venice, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 20
Daniel Howe wrote:

Try a climbing gym, or REI. 

Local Touchstone gyms do not have a very wide shoe selection, and do not carry the Drago. REI has a slightly larger selection, but didn't have Drago last time I was in either.

There is going to be a shoe and harness demo next Tuesday, 2/27 6-9pm at Cliffs of Id in Culver City. Flyer says reps from Edelrid, Black Diamond, FiveTen, Evolv, Scarpa, and Butora will be there with stuffs to try on, and shoes and harnesses will be 20% off. Hoping they have the Drago, I would like to try them on as well.

You may also check out Adventure 16 on Pico and Cotner (West LA near the 405). I can't recall what their selection is like, but pretty sure they have a few different shoes on hand than REI.

Don B · · Gardena (South Bay) · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 20

Not L.A. but about 40 miles South in Orange County is Gear Co-op. They have the largest selection in the area. It’s in the city of Costa Mesa. At least double of REI. 

It’sa great store for outdoor stuff but the last time I checked, A16 had about 10 models to choose from between men and women’s shoes. Not worth the visit to just look at climbing shoes. 

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, California · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 135

You might check with A16.  They used to have a good selection of gear in the OC store, but that closed ages ago.  Look on Yelp for climbing stores and call around.  Gear Coop in OC has a great selection of shoes in stock, but they don't have every size of every shoe.  They also have a bouldering wall in store, so you can actually try them out on the plastic.

Derek Rheingans · · Malibu Ca · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 111
Eric K wrote:

I'll be visiting LA soon and wondering if there are any shops which have a good selection of climbing shoes. Im really looking to try on the scarps Drago and it does not seem like one which retailers want to stock.

Derek Rheingans · · Malibu Ca · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 111

If your here “cliffs of id “ in Culver City is having a shoe demo today and harness demo from 6-9 pm

yosem1te · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 25
Don B wrote:

Not L.A. but about 40 miles South in Orange County is Gear Co-op. They have the largest selection in the area. It’s in the city of Costa Mesa. At least double of REI. 

It’sa great store for outdoor stuff but the last time I checked, A16 had about 10 models to choose from between men and women’s shoes. Not worth the visit to just look at climbing shoes. 

Highly recommend Gear Coop.  Well worth the drive, and they have probably the best selection.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Where to try climbing shoes in LA"