Mountain Project Logo

Partners Wanted San Antonio/Austin area from May to June

Original Post
John Stevenson · · Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Hey folks, I'm a British climber heading over to Texas in a few months. I know it's awhile away but I'm going to be in San Antonio from the end of May to the 14th June and I'm looking for partners to help me check out some local crags. Really keen to check out some Austin Limestone and Enchanted Rock. Happy to do trad, sport or boulder. I will have a car, trad rack and rope so if you fancy meeting up then let me know.

Thanks,

John

Mike Slavens · · Houston, TX · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 35

John-

Welcome to the suck that is Texas climbing!  Long drives for short routes in crippling heat and oppressing humidity.  However if you can get past that, the routes are pretty fun.

I live in Houston and am more than happy to get outside and can likely swing at least one weekend in that time frame.  I'm up for trad or sport as well.  I'm no expert but I'd be happy to show you the areas.  As that time gets closer hit me up and hopefully we can get outside some time.  In case you haven't read much of the other partner finder posts for this area, you should also join the Austin Climbing Facebook page.  Its WAYYYYYYY more active than Mountain Project for Austin and E-rock so you'll have much better luck there.  Not so much E-rock, but for Reimers you could probably just go to the cliff and find people to climb with, its a very popular spot.

-Mike

719-238-5544

Christopher Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

GL doing Erock in summer heat.  That place focuses heat like an oven.  Be prepared to bring tons of water and chase shade.

John Stevenson · · Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Hi Mike,

Thanks for all that useful info. To be honest your description of Texas climbing sounds the same as the UK with short routes and long drives but replace crippling heat and humidity with perpetual damp and rain! I will get in touch with you nearer the time and hopefully we can get meet up whilst I'm there. I'll check out that facebook group too. 

Will follow your advice for ERock too Chris. Definitely will be choosing routes in the shade and taking plenty of supplies :)

Thanks, 

John

Joshua McMillan · · Fayetteville, NC · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 20

Hey John, I'm at Fort Sam Houston right now until apr 25th and would love to tag along on the weekends. I have a trad rack and 60m rope as well, but no car. :( please let me know if you're interested. 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 195
Christopher Smith wrote:

GL doing Erock in summer heat.  That place focuses heat like an oven.  Be prepared to bring tons of water and chase shade.

Get there at dawn, leave by noon and it’s great.  You’ll have the place to yourself and it’s actually quite pleasant up until it’s really, really not.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Texas Partners
Post a Reply to "Partners Wanted San Antonio/Austin area from Ma…"