Mountain Project Logo

Good rack for Mount Lemmon/Cochise?

Original Post
Varun Ramesh · · bellingham, WA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 15

Hey, Looking for recommendations on a ideal trad rack for climbing at Mount Lemmon/Cochise? The wife and I are flying out there next week and would like to minimize weight.

Varun

timinthehouse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

I've heard it is a good idea to bring a few extra slings to the stronghold, as you may have to slip hitch boiler plates/chicken heads for anchors on some belays. 

Bryanz · · Arizona, Tucson · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 95

The ideal rack would be doubles to #3, a #4, and a standard passive set.

Like mentioned above to minimize weight you would likely need to tailor your rack to climbs you want to get on, because in my opinion both areas are fairly diverse as in you could be clipping a lot of bolts between a few gear placements, clipping nothing but bolts, or wishing you had a couple #4's and a #5.

Gizmo · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 10

You can get away with a standard single rack but doubles of 0.5" to 2" is nice. Mt Lemmon pro can be very awkward, I place a lot of stoppers and always bring my aliens. Like Bryanz said, there are plenty of sport and mixed climbs around, you can have a rad time with just a sport rack if you don't want to haul around your trad gear. 

Varun Ramesh · · bellingham, WA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 15

Thanks for all the comments. We are definitely going to checkin a bag so a doubles upto #2, and a #3 is the rack I've decided on. Hopefully that'll give us a bunch of options for routes. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Good rack for Mount Lemmon/Cochise?"