Mountain Project Logo

Harvard cabin huntington ravine beta

Original Post
James Donigan · · Brooklyn · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 10

Hello! 

I am looking to stay in the cabin saturday night of this weekend. hiking in mid day saturday. I realize it is a holiday weekend and this isn't the ideal time to arrive but it is what is is. Am I foolish to think there will be space in the cabin, or would I be forced to camp outside? or are the campsites likely to be taken too? Sorry for the newb questions but I have never stayed there and don't have experience with the cabin. just trying to get a feel for and make some contingency plans. Let me know if you can give me some insight!

Thanks so much!

James

James Sweeney · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 30

I guess I should have prefaced,

I did google that and found that site. Looking for first hand experience if you have it James. 

Thanks

Emmett Lyman · · Somerville, MA · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 480

As expected, the cabin tends to fill up on busy weekends. You can check with the desk at Pinkham before heading up to see if there's likely to be space or not. Hermit's is a good alternative vs. camping if the cabin's full, as there are lots of lean-tos and a couple more tent platforms. The weather reset left the snow in poor condition, so it probably won't be overrun with skiers. You can also find out how crowded it is at Pinkham when you're checking on the cabin. Good to throw a tent in the car just in case, but I reckon you'll find shelter.

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5

Unless there is a financial limitation (understandable), I always much preferred sleeping locally and getting up a couple of hours earlier for the hike up personally, especially for a day trip. Alternatively I'd rather sleep outside unless it's subzero, but maybe your tolerance for a room full of smelly snoring strangers exceeds mine, and obviously a tent and big sleeping bag is extra weight. 

Like others said, no way to tell how crowded the cabin is until you get to Pinkham. It can happen anytime, just takes one college group trip to line up with your day off. 

thanks very much for the info and recommendations. the hermit lake shelters given the skis conditions are a great call. looking to climb in huntington and while i'm not opposed to a car to car, the lodging in the vicinity is limited and or pricing me out. planning on assessing the situation at pinkham when i get there but it sounds like there are some hopeful on mountain options. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Harvard cabin huntington ravine beta"
in the Northeastern States