Adventure Projects is hiring an Android engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Boulder Flatirons Routes Recommendations Wanted

Original Post
Bob Tessitore · · Rhode Island · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

I'll be there, alone, the entire second week of April. NP with 7s, some 8s, and scratching 9s, all indoors. No active pro, so looking for just Sport and TR. Limited outside experience. Hoping someone can give me some advice on routes and finding partners/guides. Thanks!

GregMiller Miller · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 30

You’ll have more luck finding sport and TR in Boulder Canyon than in the Flatirons. That said, it would be worth trying to find folks to get on the flatirons with while here, just for the experience. Guessing no multi pitch experience?

1. Thanks, Greg. Youre right, good guess. One time with a guide. I understand that most routes there are multi and experience would go along way to getting me picked up. Guess I'm just going to have to report for duty and see who I can sway with my terrific attitude. At 71 yo, been climbing only a couple of years. Got a late start. Been busy running a couple of mountaineering clubs. Im really good belaying tho, and can build a nice anchor.  Thanks for taking the time to help me. 
T G · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 1

Hi Bob. Just a head's up for your planning purposes: March and April tend to be our heaviest snow months in and around Boulder. That's not to say you won't be able to climb, just that the weather could be a bit hit-or-miss. Typically we'll have mild, sunny, dry days interspersed with a few days of heavy snowfalls that tend to melt out pretty quickly. Boulder Canyon in particular sits higher up than Boulder proper, so the weather can be colder, more windy, and in general more erratic due to the inversions we get this time of year.

The climbing in the Flatirons is well worth your time. Many of the routes are moderate with fantastic views and position, but they require the leader to be comfortable and safe with minimal trad protection and long run-outs. So long as the belay/anchor is safe, you'll have lots of options if you're comfortable with .7s and .8s.

There are lots of options in the area between Eldo, Boulder Canyon, the Flatirons, Clear Creek, and other locations. With a competent leader/top rope setter you can climb at any of those places - and you should!

Thanks, T G. Helpful to know. I'm running out of time on the planet, so, with the good advice I get here and the crags, I'm going to make it work.

Daniel Joder · · Barcelona, Spain · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

Bob, I no longer live in Boulder but, if I were, I would gladly take you up a Flatiron route. At 60 years old this year I understand the time thing as life seems to pass by ever faster. I would highly recommend the Direct East Face of the First Flatiron (5.6R, maybe 6-8 pitches or so) if you can find a safe leader competent with long run outs. Or just hire a guide—it would be well worth it. The route is a classic with spectacular views of Boulder and the Continental Divide. Be aware that there are raptor closures in areas of the Flatirons, Eldo, and Boulder Canyon usually through July or so. Google can help here. Good luck!

Tim Meehan · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 285

Hi Bob. Get in touch when you get to town. We can see what the weather looks like and I can give you some suggestions. Also, if the timing works out, maybe we can head up a Flatiron.

Thanks, Tim. I will!

Daniel, thanks for those kind words and advice.

Bob, I have climbed with Tim. Great guy!

Thought I would follow up and add a happy ending to this thread. This conversation did in fact result in me getting together with Tim Meehan, and that in turn resulted in me being treated to an truly awesome climb of Seal Rock, the Flatirons. Daniel wrote above that Tim is a "great guy". Well, he most certainly is. And he is safe, thoughtful, generous, and just plain a lot of fun to be with. Thanks, Tim, for a very happy day. 

Bob, I am glad it worked out! Seal Rock—isn’t that the one that has the long free-hanging rappel that is really awkward to start? A great adventure!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Boulder Flatirons Routes Recommendations Wanted"
in the General Climbing