Mountain Project Logo

A climb to watch the Firefall suggestions (Yosemite - Horsetail Falls)

Original Post
Michael Murdock · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Hey guys! I'm going with some friends next weekend to watch the firefall on horsetail falls in Yosemite and wondering if you guys know of any good climbs to top out at and be able to still see the falls?

Looking for something to lead in the 5.8/5.9 range and anything from 1-6 pitches. 

I was thinking maybe something on cathedral spires, but have never climbed the spires before so I'm not sure which routes face where.

M Alexander · · SLO, CA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 21

From what I have heard, unless there is rainfall soon, there won't be any firefalls to watch. 

Michael Murdock · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Ah dang! Yeah it looks pretty clear. Just in case it does, do you think you could see it atop high cathedral spire? Thinking of doing regular route

Cory F · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 25

The water fall was dry last weekend :-(

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430
Michael Murdock wrote:

Ah dang! Yeah it looks pretty clear. Just in case it does, do you think you could see it atop high cathedral spire? Thinking of doing regular route

Might be a touch sketchy on anything on the south side of the valley...no snow this year but deep deep shade and brrrrrrrrrr.

Great views of Horsetail from the Nutcracker (when it flows). Its sunny with a bitchen ledge on top for frolicking. Take care on the walk off.

T-rack · · Merced, CA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 185

The Regular Route on Higher Cathedral Spire got sun almost all day when I did it in late October if I remember correctly. Beware of that 5.9+ fingers second pitch though, it's pretty heads-up (could be french freed) and parties behind us got off-route.

kevin deweese · · Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 420
T-rack wrote:

The Regular Route on Higher Cathedral Spire got sun almost all day when I did it in late October if I remember correctly. Beware of that 5.9+ fingers second pitch though, it's pretty heads-up (could be french freed) and parties behind us got off-route.

massive difference in sun angle Oct versus Feb. But despite that, Both of the towers have a great view of the east Face of El Cap, as does east buttress of middle cathedral, central pillar, etc. 

There's nothing going over Horsetail falls right now and last weekend was a hilarious example of NPS idiocy with all of their reserved parking permit sales and redirecting valley traffic on the loop for something they knew full well wasn't happening. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "A climb to watch the Firefall suggestions (Yose…"