Adventure Projects is hiring an Android engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Mt. Hood Climbing Accident (Feb 13, 2018)

kendallt · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 98
Paul Morrison wrote:

With absolutely no intention to endorse, or appear to endorse, media sensation-mongering, I'll nonetheless observe the extent to which the outrage it engenders is a sort of "first world problem." Undignified exploitation of mortal suffering is accepted as legitimate news when it originates from places like Srebrenica or Syria, but only as the victims more closely resemble us, do we seem to get noticeably upset about it.

Maybe I'm watching different news, but I don't see the comparison. I can't think of any instance where I've seen someones death intentionally broadcast live. I think if live feeds of drone kills in Syria start popping up on the local news, people would be outraged.

That said, you are correct that this interest in human morbidity isn't new. People have watched climbers die on the north face of the Eiger from Grindelwald for many years before TV and internet. In my opinion though, news reporters should have a higher standard to follow than someone hanging out in Grindelwald.

SeƱor Arroz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10

I wonder if peoples' feelings would be different if it'd just been a live feed of the rescue (meaning extraction of the stranded climbers) and if they hadn't broadcast the CPR on the dying climber?

To me I think that would have been a meaningful difference.

I watched the helicopter rescue with fascination. I logged in after the CPR was shown and was unaware it had been. 

Ray Pinpillage · · West Egg · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 180
Paul Morrison wrote:

With absolutely no intention to endorse, or appear to endorse, media sensation-mongering, I'll nonetheless observe the extent to which the outrage it engenders is a sort of "first world problem." Undignified exploitation of mortal suffering is accepted as legitimate news when it originates from places like Srebrenica or Syria, but only as the victims more closely resemble us, do we seem to get noticeably upset about it.

The media does the same thing with school shootings. If they could live stream elementary school kids getting shot they probably would. Why anyone is surprised by them broadcasting a live mountain rescue is beyond me. Welcome to the blood orgy, the only way to fix the problem is to stop watching the "news".

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Mt. Hood Climbing Accident (Feb 13, 2018)"
in the Pacific Northwest