Mountain Project Logo

Mt. Hood Climbing Accident (Feb 13, 2018)

Original Post
Nate Tastic · · 88,4,108,50, 80 · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10
Anthony L · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 25

Wow.  Just watched the live feed and the climbers in the party were performing CPR to seemingly no response for like 15 minutes... It seems there are two injured climbers from two separate parties?

SeƱor Arroz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10

Crazy

Chris C. · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 337

That's a lot of blood   

kendallt · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 98

Hopefully the others make it down safe. 

Glad I didn't post the live feed itself.

No words...

Allen Sanderson · · Oootah · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,146

Looking at the conditions which appear to be solid nevé I am not surprise that there have been some serious falls. If i were to guess one group was crossing over from the Hogsback heading over to the Old Chute when one fell. That would account for the 4? climbers down at the base of the Hot Rocks. The others look to be hanging out at the base of the Hogsback. One probably fell down the Hogsback.

Not a live feed but ...

http://www.kptv.com/story/37496370/search-and-rescue-crews-respond-to-fallen-climber-on-mount-hood

kendallt wrote:

Stay safe up there!

Unfortunately, after seeing the live feed, I knew what appeared to be inevitable was coming:

"Climber dies after Mt. Hood rescue, several others still stranded"

http://abcnews.go.com/US/rescuers-scrambling-reach-climbers-stranded-mt-hood/story?id=53057576

My condolences.

Chris C. · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 337

Very sad news. Prayers out to the family. 

Remember to stay safe out there folks, no matter how frequented the route. 

Paul L · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 180
kendallt wrote:

Hopefully the others make it down safe. 

I was up there today.  It was a bad day to be up high on Hood. Nice weather, tricky conditions.      

Not exactly sure of what caused the fall, but we were bailing from the base of Pearly Gates when there was a fall or falls from Old Chute.  My understanding is one person self arrested, the other was unable and tumbled over the west crater rim.  The party was not roped up and was descending when the fall happened.  

There was at least one other fall that someone was able to arrest today, too, plus I think everyone up there got hit by ice of various sizes from marbles to melons.  I believe the ice fall is what had most of the remaining climbers stranded.  People were descending Pearly Gates and Old Chute after 1pm, it was a bowling alley all over the south side at that point.   

I quoted you because I'd like to send a big, "Fuck You," to whatever news channels were showing that.  The news chopper was there about an hour before the rescue helicopter and my partner was getting texts from his girlfriend that the news was live streaming the CPR.  What in the absolute fuck?!  There is no way that the person's family could have been notified yet, what if that was how they got word of the accident?  

Ammo · · Denver, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 0

https://www.outsideonline.com/2281566/what-make-televised-mount-hood-rescue-operation

I'm glad somebody wrote about the 'sensationalism' many of you described above. 

Ryan Maitland · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 65

I was deeply disturbed when I came across the live stream of his partner(s) performing chest compressions, as they waved at the helo seemingly for help, or at least to say "WTF".

Sure, it would've been dangerous to attempt to render aid. I'd like to think most would risk it anyways to assist someone obviously dying. But if you're not willing to risk your life to save another, could you at least turn the fucking camera off?

Ok, I'm still mad about it. Anyone know what news station it was? I'd love to get in contact with them.

Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 185

very bothered by this as well. 

A few years ago I was involved in a rescue on a different snow covered peak in which it looked like one in our party was not going to make it. As the helicopter came to carry him out in a basket many others that didn’t even bother helping in the rescue and weren’t part of our group were requesting pictures of themselves with the helicopter/rescue in the background. 

Someone is dying. This isn’t entertainment or a way to make yourself look “badass”

MyFeetHurt · · Glenwood Springs, CO · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 45

Wow, I just watched all of 5 seconds of the video before coming to the same WTF conclusion. CPR being done clear as day, complete disregard by the media.

Jordan W · · NC · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 30

I can't believe those vultures live streamed that whole thing, that was a brutal video..... So sad for everyone involved. 

Paul L · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 180
Ryan Maitland wrote:

I was deeply disturbed when I came across the live stream of his partner(s) performing chest compressions, as they waved at the helo seemingly for help, or at least to say "WTF".

Sure, it would've been dangerous to attempt to render aid. I'd like to think most would risk it anyways to assist someone obviously dying. But if you're not willing to risk your life to save another, could you at least turn the fucking camera off?

Ok, I'm still mad about it. Anyone know what news station it was? I'd love to get in contact with them.

ABC News still had clips on their IG feed. 

I wish that the writer from Outside would have waited a little more and done something with a little more depth. To me, it rings with the same sensationalism as the rest of the news.  

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 310

I offer my sincere condolences to the Family and Friends of the fallen Climbers.

RIP

kendallt · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 98

Ryan Maitland wrote:

http://www.kgw.com is the one above that had the live link on their site, I assumed it was their feed and their helicopter. There's a convenient "send message" button on their facebook page if you want to let them know what you think: https://www.facebook.com/KGWTV8/

Live streaming CPR should be unacceptable to anyone with even a hint of a conscience.

Jake wander wrote:

very bothered by this as well. 

A few years ago I was involved in a rescue on a different snow covered peak in which it looked like one in our party was not going to make it. As the helicopter came to carry him out in a basket many others that didn’t even bother helping in the rescue and weren’t part of our group were requesting pictures of themselves with the helicopter/rescue in the background. 

Someone is dying. This isn’t entertainment or a way to make yourself look “badass”

I don't know if this is an indicator of lack of empathy, people being desensitized to the 'real' world by social media, the growing climbing population, or what. Any way you look at it, it's pretty terrible.

Paul Morrison · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 0
kendallt wrote:

With absolutely no intention to endorse, or appear to endorse, media sensation-mongering, I'll nonetheless observe the extent to which the outrage it engenders is a sort of "first world problem." Undignified exploitation of mortal suffering is accepted as legitimate news when it originates from places like Srebrenica or Syria, but only as the victims more closely resemble us, do we seem to get noticeably upset about it.

Anthony L · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 25
Paul Morrison wrote:

With absolutely no intention to endorse, or appear to endorse, media sensation-mongering, I'll nonetheless observe the extent to which the outrage it engenders is a sort of "first world problem." Undignified exploitation of mortal suffering is accepted as legitimate news when it originates from places like Srebrenica or Syria, but only as the victims more closely resemble us, do we seem to get noticeably upset about it.

Came to say this. Television news is about sensationalism and entertainment. Livestreaming a rescue operation sells. In fact, us posting links to their news station just garners them clicks and advertising revenue. 

At this point, especially in a world of 8 billion, one must look at the lack of privacy on Mt Hood as part of the climb, as sad as that is. It isn't exactly what you'd call a backcountry experience. Previous rescue operations have been livestreamed and I'd bet it's only going to become more common.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Mt. Hood Climbing Accident (Feb 13, 2018)"
in the Pacific Northwest