Mountain Project Logo

Pulley injury?

Original Post
Katie Wright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 30 days ago · Points: 0

I started bouldering a few months ago.  Last weekend my finger started hurting in the same place that would be my a3 pulley.  I climbed a second day and it got a bit worse.  Its not bad enough that I can't climb, but I've stopped for now because I dont want to make it worse.  Since I can still crimp (though with some pain) and use the finger fully, I'm fairly certain its not a tear, but I've heard that sometimes the pulley will hurt for a few weeks before it gets seriously injured.  I tried taping, but it felt really stiff when I took off the tape, and I'm not sure if its helping or making it worse.  How long should I rest it, is it ok to climb so long as it doesnt hurt anymore?  Is there anything in particular I can do to speed healing, and are there other potential injuries that might look similar to a pulley injury?   

Lin Robinson · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 30

Rest and ice. If you did your pulley you would know. It’s a very distinct popping sound and then immediate pain. Tape will help support the finger but the only way for it to get better is by resting. 

If you want to keep climbing despite your injury, stay away from crimps and focus on slopey problems 

frank bonnevie · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 73

tape it hard, keep climbing

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Pulley injury?"
in the Injuries and Accidents