Mountain Project Logo

Climbing / Skiing Mount Hood

Original Post
Rude Boy · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 946

I'm headed to Oregon this coming weekend. Was thinking of climbing / skiing Hood on Friday by way of the standard south side route as I will be doing this solo (https://www.mountainproject.com/route/105792904/south-side-route). I have not been on this mountain before and was wanting to know if there are any crevasses worth worrying about if I am not roped up with a partner. Was going to summit and ski down. Also, what are latest conditions like, specifically for skiing. I saw in another post it was icey up there before the recent dump. Prolly won't do this if it won't be a good ski down. 

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 0

I skied at Timberline this past Sunday and it was pretty icy. I'm not sure of the conditions at the very top. Snow is on the forecast for the next 5 days.

Timberline conditions

shakey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 30

I was on St. Helens on saturday (about 2K lower) and the top was pretty iced up. Also talked to some guides who said they were avoiding hood that day due to reported icy conditions up high.  It hasn't been warming up much so i imagine ski conditions will be pretty icy up there.  No crevasses on the standard south side route though. 

Alec Entress · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

I'll continue the rumor mill, I heard that Hood is pretty icy everwhere above Palmer. Might not be terrible in just boots.

Kyle Tarry · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 242

Hood is currently covered in a pretty thick blanket of rime ice, pretty much everywhere above Palmer (~8500 ft).  On Saturday, nothing about that elevation would have been skiiable.  The ice also made climbing more strenuous than normal up high, with a lot of front-pointing required in areas where you can usually just walk.  Depending on the party's experience, this could be a non-issue or a show stopper.

With regard to crevasses, there is a single bergschrund on the normal south side route.  It was open in spots this weekend but you'd need to be blind to walk into it.  Roping up is not standard practice here. 

Paul L · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 205

Unless something drastically changes,  the upper mountain will probably not be in good condition this weekend. I just spoke to a ski patrol person today and they are expecting high avalanche risk with the snow starting tonight. As mentioned above, the entire upper mountain is essentially covered in various forms of rime ice and it went through a pretty solid melt today that is going to refreeze with the storm. 

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,625
Paul L · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 205

To give you an idea, this is essentially what the whole upper mountain looked like yesterday:

Rude Boy · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 946

Yeah that is sad. Condolences to all who knew the victim. 

Well looks like I won't bother bringing my skis. Was hoping to bag a rad descent but that's not in the cards this time. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Climbing / Skiing Mount Hood"