Adventure Projects is hiring an Android engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Has anyone ever seen a real dirtbag?

Paul Morrison · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 0
Nate Tastic · · 88,4,108,50, 80 · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10

When "This Guy" returns back to the hell that is society or dies and goes to heaven there will be no more dirtbags. At least according to Cedar Wright.

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430

Harumpf.

Saturn is the lap of luxury. I had a 67' VW bug that ran on 3 cylinders...didn't like hills lol.

(shakes fist at cloud).

the schmuck · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 110
jg fox wrote:

Where can I find this "Alf?"

Last sighting I am aware of is a ramshackle trailer in Indian Creek. He lived in Socorro on and off for a little over a decade. 

Nolan Fulton wrote:

I was listening to The Enormocast podcast and they were talking about. “Are the dirtbags dead”. “All these sprinters lined up at the crag”. “That Isn’t really dirtbagging”

And how if there were still some real dirtbags left. You wouldn’t know about them. It’s not like they have Instagram accounts.

it got me thinking about how guys used to live out in caves and just live in their sleeping bag.

Has anyone seen a real Dirtbag? Like living at the crag pretty much homeless, panhandling, climbing, hitchhiking?

Usually when we go on a climbing trip we usually bivy at the base of a climb or cowboy camp, but only for a week tops. I’m talking about straight up living there for extended period of time. Dirty, nasty, stinky.

Interested to hear stories about them.

Don't worry about Locker on St00pid Topo. I know you mean well.

BTW, do you know who Don Lauria is who is posting in the other thread? Prominent Yose climber in late 60's early 70's. Did the 2nd Ascent of the Wall of the Early Morning Light with Royal Robbins etc. 

St00pid topo gold.

Andy Novak · · Golden, Co · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 370
bruno-cx wrote:

ALF, he pulled a gun on my buddy once.  

Ha! I've shot that gun.  Yes, Alf is a true 'bag.  I saw him eat nothing but carrots and brown rice for three days straight, and still effortlessly crush 11's.  

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5
Andy Novak wrote:

Ha! I've shot that gun.  Yes, Alf is a true 'bag.  I saw him eat nothing but carrots and brown rice for three days straight, and still effortlessly crush 11's.  

Nolan Fulton · · Montgomery,AL · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 611
King Tut wrote:

Don't worry about Locker on St00pid Topo. I know you mean well.

BTW, do you know who Don Lauria is who is posting in the other thread? Prominent Yose climber in late 60's early 70's. Did the 2nd Ascent of the Wall of the Early Morning Light with Royal Robbins etc. 

St00pid topo gold.

Calling me the troll. Haha

I’ve lurked on Super Topo for about a year now.That’s where I found out about Tucker Tech. He certainly fits the Dirtbag criteria. Man I bet there’s some wild stories about that guy. 

Don Ferris III · · Eldorado Springs · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 175

When I was 20 I quit my job and lived on the beach in Hawaii for a while. I kept it up until I had enough for a 1 way ticket back to Colorado. It’s somewhat comforting to know that no matter what happens, Hawai’i is only a 5-6 hour flight and I can live quite happily there for sometime with only a hammock. 

While I was there I met this hagard old bastard who had been living on that beach for 15 years.  His name was Sam and he bragged about being in the last horse mounted Calvary unit of the United States.   He was in his 60s I think. He told me one day that over the years he had trained all the insects of that beach to stay off of him, saying, “every insect that has ever landed on me has died. After generations they have evolved to stay away from me.”  We had a falling out when I started chatting up this mid 20s, lady traveler who had sat next to him one day to smoke a doobie (Sam was the middle man for some dealer). He yelled at me that I had stolen his chance with her. He was not the most stable. 

Anyway, after I got back I lived out of my car (91 Camry) for 2 years before moving in with a girlfriend.  I consider myself a dirtbag but only when it comes to paying for places to sleep. With everything else I’m a quality guy. 

Russ Keane · · Asheville, NC · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 150

When I look at the state of my kitchen sometimes, I realize how close I am to "dirtbag" status.

Mike Esparza · · Westminster, CA · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 330

Chongo and my son Warren...  Summer 2009 in Tuolumne.

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 442

Holy fuck. I come back from school and there's 67 replies in 11 hours. Damn.

Nolan Fulton wrote:

Calling me the troll. Haha

I’ve lurked on Super Topo for about a year now.That’s where I found out about Tucker Tech. He certainly fits the Dirtbag criteria. Man I bet there’s some wild stories about that guy. 

Heheh, yea, Tucker surely does however he's a Johnny Come Lately for real D-bag status. He didn't show up in the Valley until the 80's iirc. :P

Sam Miller · · Bend, OR · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 30

If you live in your van full time and have no home base/ apartment then IMO that qualifies you as a dirtbag. My girlfriend and I lived out of a 2000 honda accord for a few years, definitely felt like homelessness. 

There are a few dirtbags at the bivy (smith) who stay around there for 6 months at a time and have figured out how to evade the $5/night fee

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5
the schmuck wrote:

Everybody knows/has met Alf. Or at least heard stories. Regardless what one may think of him, he IS a true dirtbag. 

Some poor, misguided and well intentioned soul even made a YouTube video about him a few years back. 

Saw the video, very disappointed. I was expecting a more unstable person. The guy just seemed normal.

Mobes Mobesely · · Granite island · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 865
jg fox wrote:

Saw the video, very disappointed. I was expecting a more unstable person. The guy just seemed normal.

When he is in his element he is. Certainly one cant take away all the FAs he has piled up over the years. 

ViperScale . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 240
the schmuck · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 110
jg fox wrote:

Just keep in mind that he is the only person I know who was deported FROM Mexico. We also stopped him from destroying trails at the Tower because of a personal conflict with one of the route developers. 

Locker · · Yucca Valley, CA · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 2,267

"But at the end of the day I'll bet no one that HAS to live off of dumpster diving in 2018 gives a flying fuck about rock climbing."

Yep! 

"Climbers" CHOOSING to be broke, knowing all along that they can go back to the luxury they're used to? 

"Dirtbag".= "Fake News"...

Nolan Fulton · · Montgomery,AL · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 611
Locker wrote:

"But at the end of the day I'll bet no one that HAS to live off of dumpster diving in 2018 gives a flying fuck about rock climbing."

Yep! 

"Climbers" CHOOSING to be broke, knowing all along that they can go back to the luxury they're used to? 

"Dirtbag".= "Fake News"...

Locker, do you have any interesting stories about some eccentric characters you met in the climbing community? Someone that left the comforts and luxuries to persue climbing full time and didn’t have something to fall back on or a mobile home on wheels? 

Because that’s why I started this thread. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Has anyone ever seen a real dirtbag?"
in the General Climbing